Lunar Light installation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vthokie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I ordered some lunar lights without giving much thought to how I would install them. The instructions refer to a canopy, but I just have a 48" CF strip light and a glass cover.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might install the lights? Here is a link to the lights I'm refering to:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&pc=1&N=0&Nty=1

Any suggestions & ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Do you have any spare metal/plastic area that you can screw a screw into on the light? Else, maybe you could use Duct tape? I'm unsure as well if you don't have a canopy. I got the onces that clip to your tank edge.

I have 2 of those fixtures, all i did was silicone them to the top of my hood, I also used some silicone so the wires wernt hanging all over. I can take some photos if you like, its not the best/cleanest looking silicon job, but it works and since its on the underside of the hood no one really will see it anyhow :D

-Pleco

I hadn't thought of silicone. I can't picture how I would do that, other than attaching them directly to the reflector. I'll look into it when I go home this evening.

Pleco, yes, I would like to see a pic if it's not too much trouble. Thanks for the offer!

Ok, here are some photos. Again i know i wont be winning any awards for my silicone application but it does the job and no one really sees it anyhow :D

Essentially i put a small amount of silicone on the bottom of the base, then went around the base with another layer. I did that for both units. I then applied probably too much for "cable management". All in all it took me about 15-20min to do each one, $6 for some AGA branded silicone, and about 10 hours to cure.

lunar.jpg

lunar1.jpg

lunar2.jpg

If you have any questions feel free to ask me :)

-Pleco

Thanks for the pics! I don't have a hood...it's just a light strip, so my only option is to attach them directly to the reflector, but I don't really like that idea. I might just make my own strip separate from the regular light.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom