Lunar Lights or Not

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gsongy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok, I just came back from the local fish shop and I am back to square one. I am interested with compact fluorescent lights with lunar LED lights. The guy there said that lunar is not worth it because of the algae growth. Anyone out there noticed more algae growth and is it that big of a deal with lunar lights?

Thanks a million! Gerald

I would not think lunar lights would have anything to do with algea. I dont have any but that`s only because I dont think I need them. I`ve gone 10 yrs without them with no problems but they surely dont feed algea. Excessive nutrients and overfeeding are the culprits for algea.

I don't think lunar LEDs have the right spectrum for problem algea growth (the blue ones). Even if it does, it would be such a small amount. I think it adds a great night effect. Anyone that knows for sure, feel free to educate me as well.

Melosu, I've read (Tom Barr Report) that nutrient deficencies, not excesses, are whta cause algea growth. Is he only talking about KNO3, KH2PO4, NO3, and CSM+B when he said that, meaning that excessive ammonia and urea cause algea?

As to lunar lights, I have em, and I have algea, so can't really offer anything definite.

FWIW, I just cannot imagine the tiny blue LED's cause algea growth, no way.

Well in my 14 Gallon BioCube I have 1.50watts worth of Lunar Light at night! (.10wpg) for 14 hours. So I really don't think that contributes to algae growth. Lunar lights seem to be more for "looks" and I freaken love them in my tank. I sit in front of it around midnight every night and just stare. They make it easier to see the night life of an aquarium as well. HTH

Sounds like the LFS doesn't have the lights you want, and is trying to talk you in to buying the lights they have! Gotta love 'em!

While I have no scientific proof, as mr86mister noted, there's just no way 1.5W of light (in the wrong spectrum) could cause an algae problem. I've got the Coralife fixture with the lunar lights and run them 24/7. No algae issues here. And if I did, I'd look toward excess nutrients (nitrate, phosphate) in the tank.

Seems like the masses has it! I felt the same way about lunar lights, who can a small LED light produce enough algea that will overcome a tank? Anyway, thanks to all with the help, I am now back on track and will buy the lunar lights.

This leads to another problem, how can I trust the local fish shop? I guess that is a case by case scenario.

Gerald

I have them on my fixture and don't always use them. They have been off for a month now and I have NOT seen any differenece (not that I have much algae to begin with).

Nutrients feed algae. I agree with Kurt. You found a sharp salesperson who answered a sales objection trying to make a sale. Rubberband your wallet before going back there. Then go home and ask advice here before going back to make purchase. I'm all for supporting the local merchants, but it is very hard for them to compete on price with the online stores. Making stuff up to sell what is in stock is not going to help the reputation of the lfs either.

Not to make this topic wander too far off topic, but I don't think you should judge a LFS on this one instance. Give 'em a chance, but be aware. The store or owner might be top notch, but you might've just got some new person that thought they'd impress the boss by selling a lighting system.

Not to make this topic wander too far off topic, but I don't think you should judge a LFS on this one instance. Give 'em a chance, but be aware. The store or owner might be top notch, but you might've just got some new person that thought they'd impress the boss by selling a lighting system.
There is a small pet store that in my town that has some really cool people working that are very honest and I trust them however don't always agree with them. The only problem is they don't stock a whole lot of anything for Saltwater. So I end up using the internet for purchases. I Love the Lunar light look at night its a cool effect but thats all it is really an effect.

I agree with Kurt. I had a LFS in town, the owner didn't know much about SW fish and would ask me questions while I was visiting (if I didn't know the answer, I would post here) and let him know when I went back in. They went under because they wouldn't sell to people if they didn't think the critter would be cared for (kinda my fault). It's such a shame that folks can be so uncaring. Fish/critters are no different than dogs, cats, birds, I can go on....sigh...Sorry for the rant. I think we have had an influx of folks that just don't want to listen....
OK, off my soapbox....

Well for what its worth I have lunar lights on my tank and have since the first drop of water hit the bottom of the tank. Mine stay on 24/7. You can't tell it during the day when the MHs are on but at night it give a nice effect and I like it. I'll have them on the 210 when I upgrade as well.

It is a personal choice and has nothing to do with algae growth.

Cool, I believe I just caught the wrong guy at the wrong time. I was also talking to a fellow customer and salesman that same day, they praised the lunar lights and mentioned nothing about the algea problems. You all are right, collectively, this is the best source for information out there. I have started reading the articles on this site and browsing the BB for interesting bits of information. Thanks for all the help and information.

Gerald

Back
Top Bottom