Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-06-2012, 11:03 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I forgot that it is corrosive in solution. When I had the valve off there were bubbles for a few minutes, I'll also try the pinch test. I went on Milwaukee's web site under tech tips and their suggestion for cleaning the needle valve was to drill it out. Seems kind of final, doesn't it?

Old 04-06-2012, 11:05 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Do you think replacing the valves would be a waste of money by putting higher quality gauges on this regulator?

Old 04-06-2012, 11:28 PM   #13
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I don't understand what you mean, replacing the valves by putting higher quality gauges?

I don't think there is anything wrong with the gauges, so long as they are not over pressurized. I recently sold my MA957 after several years of use, and never had an issue with it. I would buy another in a minute if I needed a CO2 regulator, especially at that price point.

Granted, I was not using the original installed needlevalve as I installed a dual manifold/needlevalve setup so I could use the system on multiple tanks... but even the dual system used the same jbj needlevalves and I never had a problem with them.

Personally, I will still be looking towards a nearly emptyCO2 tank... seems like the most likely cause to me, but maybe I was just really lucky with my setup. Even if there is some left, you would only be out $5 or so in CO2, and considering it ran for a year, it would be worth a try to see if changing the tank fixes your issue. Even if it doesn't, you know you have at least another year's supply of CO2 ready to go.
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:20 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I meant to say gauge instead of valve. My right gauge is blown and im not sure if its worth replacing. A tank exchange is a good idea anyway.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:35 AM   #15
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Oh ok. I would replace it. Any standard pressure gauge will work. You can get them for $5-20 iirc.
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:29 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks to all for the advice.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com