Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-05-2012, 11:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

MA957 issue

I have a Milwaukee MA957 and the air flow seems to be slowing down. I noticed the the flow had slowed a few days ago and I reset it. I then saw tonight that it slowed again. I reset it. It's a 20lb tank that's been in operation for a little less than a year and the left gauge is still registering pressure. Do I need to clean the solenoid or needle valve? If so, how do I do this? Any suggestions?

Old 04-06-2012, 12:43 PM   #2
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Even when the left gauge is registering pressure, the tank could be nearly empty. Unfortunately the gauge is not a very accurate way of measuring how much CO2 you may have left.

You may also need to run the high side at a bit higher pressure and fine tune using the needlevalve. If the high side is not open enough, I have noticed fluctuations in output before. Although, this would be strange if it has been running for a year incident free... so I would still lean towards refilling the canister.

fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Yep, I'd try and make sure you're reading a good 10-15 psi on the right gauge. Also, you might try blowing through the line to see if there's a lot of resistence. Depending on the diffusion method you are using, there could be a blockage of some sort preventing as much from going in. But... a year is quite some time. You may be nearing the end.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I thought a 20lb tank would have lasted longer but I will change the tank. unfortunately I blew the right gauge upon intsallation, this was so easily done and poorly explained that I will not purchase a Milwaukee again unless they fix this issue. I shut both valves and then opened them and blew the gas through like explained above and there was resistence at first but it then opened up. If it happens in the next few days I'll exchange tanks.
Thanks guys, I appreciate it.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:51 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

The needle valve that comes with the Milwaukee regulator is....... not particularly good. Mine has trouble holding a consistent bps as well.

Also, blowing the second gauge is a result of user error, not necessarily because of Milwaukee's regulator. You can blow the working pressure gauge in high end regulators just as easily.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:35 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Does the needle valve ever need to be cleaned?
I know that blowing the gauge is user error, I was commenting on Milwaukee's lame warning. Lame in the context of someone that didn't have any prior experience with hooking up a regulator.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Short of blasting air through it, I'm not sure how you would clean it. The first thing I'm going to upgrade on my rig is the needle valve.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:34 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Since c02 is corrosive I was thinking that there would be residue to clean. I am going to find out how Milwaukee recommends cleaning. If I see evidence of corrosion that can be cleaned I'll post it on this thread.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:00 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amicus View Post
Since c02 is corrosive I was thinking that there would be residue to clean. I am going to find out how Milwaukee recommends cleaning. If I see evidence of corrosion that can be cleaned I'll post it on this thread.
The CO2 that you'll get at most gas stores is really clean and shouldn't have impurities in it. CO2 is only corrosive when exposed to water. If you have a checkvalve between your tank and regulator, it shouldn't be a problem. Improper use of a needle valve is the most likely cause of issues (beyond sheer cheapness).
Old 04-06-2012, 09:09 PM   #10
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

A good way to make sure that you've got enough pressure is to pinch the tubing and make sure it still bubbles for a minute or two. If it doesn't, crank up the regulator a bit and adjust your needle valve. You can pretty easily replace the guage on your regulator... just need a gauge, wrench, and some teflon tape.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com