MA957 issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amicus

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a Milwaukee MA957 and the air flow seems to be slowing down. I noticed the the flow had slowed a few days ago and I reset it. I then saw tonight that it slowed again. I reset it. It's a 20lb tank that's been in operation for a little less than a year and the left gauge is still registering pressure. Do I need to clean the solenoid or needle valve? If so, how do I do this? Any suggestions?

Even when the left gauge is registering pressure, the tank could be nearly empty. Unfortunately the gauge is not a very accurate way of measuring how much CO2 you may have left.

You may also need to run the high side at a bit higher pressure and fine tune using the needlevalve. If the high side is not open enough, I have noticed fluctuations in output before. Although, this would be strange if it has been running for a year incident free... so I would still lean towards refilling the canister.

Yep, I'd try and make sure you're reading a good 10-15 psi on the right gauge. Also, you might try blowing through the line to see if there's a lot of resistence. Depending on the diffusion method you are using, there could be a blockage of some sort preventing as much from going in. But... a year is quite some time. You may be nearing the end.

I thought a 20lb tank would have lasted longer but I will change the tank. unfortunately I blew the right gauge upon intsallation, this was so easily done and poorly explained that I will not purchase a Milwaukee again unless they fix this issue. I shut both valves and then opened them and blew the gas through like explained above and there was resistence at first but it then opened up. If it happens in the next few days I'll exchange tanks.
Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

The needle valve that comes with the Milwaukee regulator is....... not particularly good. Mine has trouble holding a consistent bps as well.

Also, blowing the second gauge is a result of user error, not necessarily because of Milwaukee's regulator. You can blow the working pressure gauge in high end regulators just as easily.

Does the needle valve ever need to be cleaned?
I know that blowing the gauge is user error, I was commenting on Milwaukee's lame warning. Lame in the context of someone that didn't have any prior experience with hooking up a regulator.

Short of blasting air through it, I'm not sure how you would clean it. The first thing I'm going to upgrade on my rig is the needle valve.

Since c02 is corrosive I was thinking that there would be residue to clean. I am going to find out how Milwaukee recommends cleaning. If I see evidence of corrosion that can be cleaned I'll post it on this thread.

Since c02 is corrosive I was thinking that there would be residue to clean. I am going to find out how Milwaukee recommends cleaning. If I see evidence of corrosion that can be cleaned I'll post it on this thread.

The CO2 that you'll get at most gas stores is really clean and shouldn't have impurities in it. CO2 is only corrosive when exposed to water. If you have a checkvalve between your tank and regulator, it shouldn't be a problem. Improper use of a needle valve is the most likely cause of issues (beyond sheer cheapness).

A good way to make sure that you've got enough pressure is to pinch the tubing and make sure it still bubbles for a minute or two. If it doesn't, crank up the regulator a bit and adjust your needle valve. You can pretty easily replace the guage on your regulator... just need a gauge, wrench, and some teflon tape.

I forgot that it is corrosive in solution. When I had the valve off there were bubbles for a few minutes, I'll also try the pinch test. I went on Milwaukee's web site under tech tips and their suggestion for cleaning the needle valve was to drill it out. Seems kind of final, doesn't it?

Do you think replacing the valves would be a waste of money by putting higher quality gauges on this regulator?

I don't understand what you mean, replacing the valves by putting higher quality gauges?

I don't think there is anything wrong with the gauges, so long as they are not over pressurized. I recently sold my MA957 after several years of use, and never had an issue with it. I would buy another in a minute if I needed a CO2 regulator, especially at that price point.

Granted, I was not using the original installed needlevalve as I installed a dual manifold/needlevalve setup so I could use the system on multiple tanks... but even the dual system used the same jbj needlevalves and I never had a problem with them.

Personally, I will still be looking towards a nearly emptyCO2 tank... seems like the most likely cause to me, but maybe I was just really lucky with my setup. Even if there is some left, you would only be out $5 or so in CO2, and considering it ran for a year, it would be worth a try to see if changing the tank fixes your issue. Even if it doesn't, you know you have at least another year's supply of CO2 ready to go.

I meant to say gauge instead of valve. My right gauge is blown and im not sure if its worth replacing. A tank exchange is a good idea anyway.

Oh ok. I would replace it. Any standard pressure gauge will work. You can get them for $5-20 iirc.

Back
Top Bottom