Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-27-2010, 11:17 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks. That does make sense and I suspected that was the case.

However, it still leaves the question of the weakest link. It seems that the flow would be restricted anyways since the bulkhead is designed to take a screw-in adapter for a 3/4" ID hose. I will look at Menards (they carry the best selection of Schedule 80 adapters) to see if they have one with the same threading and a 1-1/2" hose connector.

The other issue is still the riser tube leading from the bulkhead up to the jets, this is not 1-1/2" diameter I guarantee it. So you end up with a choke point no matter what you do.

I thought about maybe finding a fitting to go on the outside of the threading on the bulkhead under the tank, however I discovered quickly that this is not a standard diameter and the only fitting that matches it is the locking nut that comes with the bulkhead. So that's not an option.

The worst-case option is drilling out a larger bulkhead on a tank in use. Not something I want to attempt

Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:45 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

You should be able to find an adapter for the 1 1/2" hose to the bulkhead. It may take 2 or 3 pieces but will be possible. Again, take it to the hardware store if possible. Remember though, that the pump can only habdle what the outflow can flow. Another words, too much return flow and the tank will over flow and you'll have to valve the pump down anyway. The flow you have now just may be sufficent enough and why mess with it? I use my mag 24 solely for a closed loop system which feeds 6 outlets with a SCWD in between for a closed loop wavemaker. Too fast a flow through your sump is not always a good thing. Water movement INSIDE display tank is important, not from tank to sump amd back. Know what I mean?

Old 10-27-2010, 03:20 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm with you. Right now the tank has over 250# LR (estimated), 2 Koralia 2's and 1 Koralia 3 (or maybe the other way around - one bigger one). But that's not the issue. I am running an Algal Turf Scrubber (ATS - see that thread) and the screen needs 35 GPH/inch of screen, minimum, which equals 700 GPH. Otherwise, the algae won't get enough Iron, grows unevenly, and isn't as effective.

So I can see how I can plumb from the pump to the bulkhead, no problem. I'm still struggling with the physics / flow dynamics of a choke point in the return line. Maybe I need to look at the adapter closer, but wouldn't the ID of the adapter into the bottom of the bulkhead and the adapter going out of the top of the bulkhead still restrict the flow? Is it less of an issue since it's only a short length of the overall return path? If the riser tube from the bulkhead to the jets is smaller than 1-1/2", isn't this all moot?

Also, the tank is a 125 peninsula tank, meaning the overflow is on one end and should be plenty large to handle 900 GPH+...but I better double check that!!!
Old 10-27-2010, 03:58 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well, speaking from personal experience. I just recently, like last week, went through this on my closed loop. I spent a LOT of mula on a mag 24. I plumbed it to my closed loop with 1" ID hose which went right into the SCWD (switching Current water device. From OUT of the scwd's two 1" outlets, for SOME dumb reason I adapted down to 3/4" ID pvc. Well the SCWD's switch rate depends on the flow hitting it's gears. First off, I was SO disappointed with the flow coming out of my 6 closed loop outlets. IMO it was weak as He--. Then, the rate at which the SCWD switched sides was crazy slow. I thought, man, WHAT size pump do I have to buy to get the flow I want?? Well, a few days ago my mag 24 sucked up a piece of plastic wire tie that came loose in tank and BAM there went the impeller (cheezy cheap things for the price, the impellers I mean). SO, I ordered a new impeller and I thought to myself, while this thing is down LET me plumb it RIGHT. So I want to hardware store with pump cover and said, listen man, I want to come of this thing with 1 1/2 " ID tube and go into my 1" SCWD opening. In 5 minutes the guy hooked me up with the adapters I needed. I RE-built the closed loop coming OUT of the scwd with 1" pipe instead of the 3/4" I was using. Now, granted, at the SCWD, where it goes down from 1 1/2" to 1" is a choke point BUT less of one then I had before. Well all I can says is WOW!! What a difference! The flow is INSANE! and the SCWD switches at a rapid rate and my 220 is filled with current and waves. My 1 1/2" hose from the Mag to the SCWD is about 2 feet tall. I GUESS that just that little bit LESS of restriction made ALL the difference in the world.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:45 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Interesting...Thanks for the description!

It sounds like, based on your description, one short choke point versus a long run of restricted cross-section produces better flow. I think I'll try switching the pump-to-bulkhead tubing first, and see if that makes a difference before doing the whole riser/jet stack...
Old 10-27-2010, 10:08 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
the output on a mag24 is 1" I.D. it makes absolutely no sense to put a 1.5" hose on a 1" threaded outlet.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:08 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

Really? Then you should contact Danner Manufacturing and ask WHY they specifically SAY to use a minimum of 1 1/2" id hose for best flow AND that is what their flow specs are based upon? Look up their manual on web, it's there and disagree with the manufacturer and tell THEM they make "absolutely no sense". Don't bother arguing with me, argue with the manufacturer. I am SURE you know MORE then they do about their own pumps.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:10 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

Here is the link to the PDF instruction manual for the mag 24. Please read, THEN comment

http://www.aquacave.com/Manuals/Dann...-Manual.PDFent.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:21 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

Here is a quote from Melv's Reef.com in regard to his closed loop system he used a Mag 7 with:

What sized plumbing should I use?
The Mag pump comes with printed instructions that state to double the outlet size to determine the plumbing needed. The Mag 7 has a 1/2" outlet, and the pvc needs to be 1". If you use 1" plumbing, you'll get better flow than if you used smaller I.D. (inside diameter) pvc. Now that brings up a new problem, in that you need it to get smaller for the SCWD, and then ramp back up to larger pipe to avoid constriction. So you'll have to find "bushings" or reducers to make things work. Or use larger flexible hose: Slip on a small piece of one size on to the SCWD outlets to act like a small collar, then slip the next size hose over that, clamping it securely. Metal hose clamps can be used in dry areas, but not if the connections are submerged.

You will SEE here that he specifically says AND points to a link from Danner which says DOUBLE the outlet size for best flow.

I REALLY think people should at least TRY to do research BEFORE making comments.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:24 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

I actually did call Danner Mfg today, and what they told me is specifically that the flow output requirement stating 1-1/2" diameter is not related to the output nozzle size, and that you do indeed need to use 1-1/2" diameter not 3/4" tubing that matches the output nozzle.

Tags
flow, flow rate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com