Mag 12 for a 55gal? SCWD jammed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxnonamexx

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am going to make a closed loop for my 55 gal to eliminate my 3 powerheads inside. What do you think about the MAG 12 that I purchased for it since it states it pumps 1200gph which is what is supposed to be normal for a 55gal reef? Is this going to be toooo much flow? I have ball valves if needed to slow it down. Also the SCWD wavemaker my friend used and it jammed up has anyone else experienced trouble with it? Thanks

Depending on how far the water has to pump, you will not get all 1200 gph, but the mag 12 is pretty strong up to 5 feet. I use two of them, one for return and one for my skimmer. I have a SCWD on my return as well and it functions fine. I have had to take it off before and clean it with hot water and vinegar. Other than that it has been fine. Post some pics, I am looking to get my 5 MJ-1200's out of the tank and replace them with a closed loop, so I am really interested when people get these things to work well.

Be aware that a mag 12 will heat your water up a good bit. I used mag 12's in 45 gal trashcans to make water and if it ran more than 24 hours it would get the water to hot. Madmanmac I have no PH's in my tank. I have 8 locline nozzles that are ran buy a closed loop and 3 nozzles from my return pump.

That is exactly the way I want to go, closed loop with an external pump and no powerheads. I too use a mag drive for making water and it actually takes the place of the heater as well, so for that I like it.

i use a mag 12 on the return for my 75g. and a SCWD. i used to use a quiet one 3000 for the return on my 29 with a SCWD. i find myself cleanig the SCWD much more often with the mag 12. probably just a volume thing. more water = more debris. i also dont have a heat problem with the mag 12 in my sump.

steve r

The mag12 will not push 1200GPH at 5' head nor will it push what its rated to push at 5' head if a SCWD is in line before that height.

IMO you should use the foam filter that comes with the mag pumps and that should cut down on the detrius thats going thru the SCWD significantly.

I have found the SCWD to lower pump output by as much as 20% due to the added ristance of making the ouptuts switch.

I will be using the MAG 12 externally for the mag pump. I will eliminate my 3 powerheads. The pump will be on the top of the stand on the side so about 18" up into the tank. I think I will not use the SCWD. I should have plenty flow for my corals. I just want to make sure a Mag 12 isn't too much for a 55gal.

Wont be to much for the 55. I take it you still plan on splitting the return in half to hve flows on either end.

I dont understand what you say by having the pump at the top of the stand with it only being 18" up to the top of the tank. Is that where you sump is? How is water being put into the pump?

Back
Top Bottom