Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-24-2010, 10:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Mag 24 Pump Impeller replacement HELP!

HI,
I've broken two expensive impellers trying to put a new one in my Mag 24 pump. It SEEMS like a monkey could do this. PROBLEM is the STRONG magnetic field of the pump housing SUCKS the impeller to it with SUCH force that it slams the impeller into the hole crooked. You HAVE to get that VERY fragile bottom ceramic shaft into the very small hole at bottom of pump cavity and the strong magnetic field sucking in the new impeller makes that VERY difficult to do. A couple trys off center and the bottom ceramic shaft chips and cracks, then breaks.
Has ANYONE done this and know the way It's SUPPOSED to be done?? If so, PLEASE help as I have my third impeller on the way and I don't want to break another one.
I got the last one in, I THOUGHT. I tested the pump and it worked fine. Then I hooked it up a half hour later and nothing. So I unhooked it, removed cover, and sure enough the bottom shaft had busted off so I must have weakened or cracked it when I installed the impeller

Old 10-25-2010, 01:08 AM   #2

If I remember right when I did mine I used big channel locking pliers to get a firm grip on the impeller and then very slowly and carefully eased it in to position.

Good luck.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:50 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thats what I'm going to try when new one comes. At 35 to 50 bucks a pop you'd think there would be a better way OR the darned shafts wouldn't be SO fragile
Old 10-27-2010, 04:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I GUESS not many people have replaced Mag drive impellers?? Hard to believe as they break quite often.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:12 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

On a related topic, I do recommend always having a spare impeller on hand, expecially when that Mag pump is for your main return and you have to mail order one/wait for a replacement.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:27 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

You're right. It's NOT my main return pump BUT I DID order two this time. One for a spare. Hopefully I'll get the FIRST one in without breaking it!
Old 10-27-2010, 10:41 PM   #7

Actually mag drives are really tough pumps and rarely have problems like this.

Tags
help replacement, impeller, pump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com