Mag 24 Pump Impeller replacement HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

waynotcars

Aquarium Advice Regular
HI,
I've broken two expensive impellers trying to put a new one in my Mag 24 pump. It SEEMS like a monkey could do this. PROBLEM is the STRONG magnetic field of the pump housing SUCKS the impeller to it with SUCH force that it slams the impeller into the hole crooked. You HAVE to get that VERY fragile bottom ceramic shaft into the very small hole at bottom of pump cavity and the strong magnetic field sucking in the new impeller makes that VERY difficult to do. A couple trys off center and the bottom ceramic shaft chips and cracks, then breaks.
Has ANYONE done this and know the way It's SUPPOSED to be done?? If so, PLEASE help as I have my third impeller on the way and I don't want to break another one.
I got the last one in, I THOUGHT. I tested the pump and it worked fine. Then I hooked it up a half hour later and nothing. So I unhooked it, removed cover, and sure enough the bottom shaft had busted off so I must have weakened or cracked it when I installed the impeller :confused:

If I remember right when I did mine I used big channel locking pliers to get a firm grip on the impeller and then very slowly and carefully eased it in to position.

Good luck.

Thats what I'm going to try when new one comes. At 35 to 50 bucks a pop you'd think there would be a better way OR the darned shafts wouldn't be SO fragile

I GUESS not many people have replaced Mag drive impellers?? Hard to believe as they break quite often.

On a related topic, I do recommend always having a spare impeller on hand, expecially when that Mag pump is for your main return and you have to mail order one/wait for a replacement.

You're right. It's NOT my main return pump BUT I DID order two this time. One for a spare. Hopefully I'll get the FIRST one in without breaking it!

Actually mag drives are really tough pumps and rarely have problems like this.

Back
Top Bottom