Mag 2400 concerns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr.Micro

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
OK... So i broke down and shelled out the cash to replace the impeller on my Mag 2400... When i last used it (10yrs ago), i do not remember it being this noisy. I know part of it is vibration and i can remedy that. However, even with it muffled it's still rather loud. I have a theory which i'll explain in a minute. But can anybody recommend a comparable, quieter pump?

Here's a theory i have and i'll start by explaining my configuration. I am currently setting up my 225 gal. I have (2) CPR 150's rated at 1600gph each. Piped @ 1.5" PVC each straight into the wet/dry. I did put 1.5" ball valves and unions on each line to make getting to micron media easier. Since i'm at approx. 15x turnover rate, I could afford the reduction. From the wet/dry it goes into the sump which is connected by (3) 1" bulkheads (i'm going to add (1) 1.5" bulkhead too as during the test run my wet/dry was practically overflowing). Through the sump to the waiting Mag 2400 which sends the water via 1" PVC into a 2" manifold with (4) 1" return pipes to the tank. SO... my theory is maybe I have to high a static pressure on the pump? Should i have maybe 2.5" manifold? or 3"?

I have a RIO 1500 standing by as in theory i'm potentially overflowing 3200gph and returning 2400gph (rated, not counting the 5'-6' head). But the Mag was handling the load all 4 1" returns were pounding out the water and the overflows were cranking too... I wouldn't even question the configuration if the pump wasn't so loud.

It may be as simple as, Hey, your pump is just loud! But i'm open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance for the replies!

J

Back
Top Bottom