Mag 7/9.5 pump questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gatorfreak

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 90 gal reef tank with Velocity T2 external pump and a wet/dry-turned-sump. I have several reasons for change. The pump adds a lot of heat to the water. With no heater or lights the tank is 82F when it's 74F in the house. I want a bigger sump and I want it cheap (DIY). The T2 pump is rated for 650 gph @ 3' head. My return is a 1" bulk-head (built-in overflow) with durso standpipe.

The plan:
Replace wet/dry sump with a 30 gal tank (that's the biggest that will fit). I'll put in some baffles and all that too.
Switch to either a Mag 7 or 9.5 and run it submerged.

Questions:
1. Which Mag should I get? It will go 4.5' up with one elbow. I want it to be close to silent so if there's a big difference in noise between the 7 and 9.5 then I'll just go with the 7. Maybe the 9.5 is too much for my 1" bulkhead return anyway?
2. I've read claims that the Mag pumps only raise temps 1 or 2 degrees. Is that a typical experience?

Thanks!

I would suggest the Mag9.5 It will pump simular performance at 4.5' head. Nither mag is to terrible loud. The biggest issue will be if its vibrating on the glass and a simple bit of padding fixes that real quick. I have never seen heat problems due to a Mag of the size your talking about.

i have a mag 13 for my 80g and i don't hear it unless i am 5 feet away. it's quieter than any of my older pumps that were weaker as well

Back
Top Bottom