Mag float for 1" acrylic...anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brenden

Aquarium Advice Addict
Anyone ever used a mag float on 1" acrylic? Is it worth buying for something that thick? I am afraid it will not produce enough pressure to do any good.

A guy in our club had a 450 tank. He used a mag float on that. I think he had .75" glass, though I'm not positive. I do know that whatever float he had on that thing you couldn't MOVE it on his tank!! It was a struggle to move around. There was definitely enough pressure on it and I can't imagine what would happen if you put the two mags together on the outside of the tank. I don't think you'd ever get them apart. I'm thinking you'll find something suitable as long as you check the specs before purchase.

Good luck! And hey... how are all of those fishies?!

I had a problem in the tang QT and lost some of them. I will repurchase in a few weeks. The clowns, butterfly, hawkfish, gobies, foxface, chromis, trigger are all fine though. I will intro some to main in a week or two.

Wow! What kind of problem did you have? Sorry to hear about your losses.

The Mag-Float will scratch acrylic if there is sand particles stuck in the grooves. Tirust me, I have already done it. :oops:

Mike

If you get sand stuck in it, it will scratch glass too. You just need to be very very careful!

Sometimes I try to clean the surface right above the sand, but every now and then, the Mag Float gets a few particles in it. Sometimes I don't even notice until I ran it across. That stunk!

Mike

Back
Top Bottom