Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-10-2008, 12:24 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindskate View Post
very very newbie question. its a magnet, one half goes on the inside of the tank and the other goes out the out and you move it around the tank to get algae off. =)
I think fishyfanatic already covered that. Maybe I am taking this wrong but when you wrote very very newbie question you came off as being rather rude. Personally not knowing what acrylic is would be more of a very very newbie question than the mag float IMO.

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 12:32 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wouldn't consider it a newbie question at all. I was in fishkeeping for 2 years before coming across one.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 12:37 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to blindskate
no no lol, i guess i think its funny because im pretty dumb with salt as far as words and what everything means. and i know what a mag flat meant..so when sum1 didnt its funny, not in a rude way...dont take it that way please
Old 04-10-2008, 12:37 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Activist

agen, like i sed in another thread, u guys already make me feel dumb almost everytime i say something
Old 04-10-2008, 01:13 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
agen, like i sed in another thread, u guys already make me feel dumb almost everytime i say something
No hard feelings here Nobody should ever feel dumb as its better to ask a dumb question than not at all. We are all newbies (especially me) there is no such thing as very very newbie question IMO. I ask a lot of dumb questions myself that most might not just because I have to overanalyze things to fully understand the reasons behind everything. I am like the little kid that wont stop asking the question why,why,why,why,why,why?? Its tough to remember sometimes that the way you read a sentence can be different than the way someone else reads it, a lot depends on mood and thought process. To re-direct back to the topic. I think the algae scrubbers with the Pad on them are a big fat waste of money. I used a toothbrush because I was too cheap to buy a mag float. Mag float is a pure genus invention. If only I would have created it I could be rich.

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 02:54 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
Quote:
It is no one's intention to make anyone at this site feel dumb at any time. If there are ever any problems you can pm a mod or an admin. I have found since I joined this site that everyone is always helpful with a few slight exceptions once in a blue moon. Everyone has been a at some time and no one ever knows it all.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:04 PM   #27
AA Team Emeritus

Back on topic a little more... no one mentioned this... When using a razor scraper, or something similar for acrylic tanks, you should always be extremely careful around the seals of the tank. Even when using a mag float, you can tear small holes in poorly sealed tanks.

As far as newbie questions, I just asked in another thread if eco-complete would be necessary for a tank with only java moss and fake plants.... LOL! Java moss doesn't even have roots... Don't feel dumb.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:17 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Activist

yea...ive picked at the sealant before..not too had to tear off, so watch it, u might wana get the algae off the sealant stuff with your fingernail or toothbrush, rather than a scraper on that part
Old 04-10-2008, 05:43 PM   #29
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I use a toothbrush for the corners.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:31 PM   #30
AA Team Emeritus

Credit cards work great in acrylic tanks. Not used ones but new blanks or the pre-approved ones that come in the mail that you normally shred and throw out. The don't work that well on glass. A razor works much better there.
I find it hard not laugh when newbies ask about the best way to get the coraline growing. I remember wondering the same thing, but mine took off right from the start (great LR and NO lights can help in that regard).

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com