Mag float or algae scrubber?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
very very newbie question. its a magnet, one half goes on the inside of the tank and the other goes out the out and you move it around the tank to get algae off. =)
I think fishyfanatic already covered that. Maybe I am taking this wrong but when you wrote very very newbie question you came off as being rather rude. Personally not knowing what acrylic is would be more of a very very newbie question than the mag float IMO. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't consider it a newbie question at all. I was in fishkeeping for 2 years before coming across one.

no no lol, i guess i think its funny because im pretty dumb with salt as far as words and what everything means. and i know what a mag flat meant..so when sum1 didnt its funny, not in a rude way...dont take it that way please

agen, like i sed in another thread, u guys already make me feel dumb almost everytime i say something

agen, like i sed in another thread, u guys already make me feel dumb almost everytime i say something
No hard feelings here Nobody should ever feel dumb as its better to ask a dumb question than not at all. We are all newbies (especially me) there is no such thing as very very newbie question IMO. I ask a lot of dumb questions myself that most might not just because I have to overanalyze things to fully understand the reasons behind everything. I am like the little kid that wont stop asking the question why,why,why,why,why,why?? Its tough to remember sometimes that the way you read a sentence can be different than the way someone else reads it, a lot depends on mood and thought process. To re-direct back to the topic. I think the algae scrubbers with the Pad on them are a big fat waste of money. I used a toothbrush because I was too cheap to buy a mag float. Mag float is a pure genus invention. If only I would have created it I could be rich.:cool:

It is no one's intention to make anyone at this site feel dumb at any time. If there are ever any problems you can pm a mod or an admin. I have found since I joined this site that everyone is always helpful with a few slight exceptions once in a blue moon. Everyone has been a :n00b: at some time and no one ever knows it all.

Back on topic a little more... no one mentioned this... When using a razor scraper, or something similar for acrylic tanks, you should always be extremely careful around the seals of the tank. Even when using a mag float, you can tear small holes in poorly sealed tanks.

As far as newbie questions, I just asked in another thread if eco-complete would be necessary for a tank with only java moss and fake plants.... LOL! Java moss doesn't even have roots... Don't feel dumb. :)

yea...ive picked at the sealant before..not too had to tear off, so watch it, u might wana get the algae off the sealant stuff with your fingernail or toothbrush, rather than a scraper on that part

Credit cards work great in acrylic tanks. Not used ones but new blanks or the pre-approved ones that come in the mail that you normally shred and throw out. The don't work that well on glass. A razor works much better there.
I find it hard not laugh when newbies ask about the best way to get the coraline growing. I remember wondering the same thing, but mine took off right from the start (great LR and NO lights can help in that regard).

Thanks for the info on mag floats - They sound pretty cool - I'll look into them
My tank is glass (manufactured by All-Glass Aquariums) and I thank you for the heads up around the silicone seals. Wouldn't that have been a kick in the head if I cut the seal -- I could see my son looking like the little Dutch boy with his finger in the dike holding back the water.
And one final thing - if all that (for lack of a better word) fuss was about me being humiliated asking newbie questions. Don't sweat it - I am 44 years old - been married and divorced - been rich and I lived on the streets - been a bad alcoholic and now sober - With all I've been through and seen not too much embarrasses me anymore --- YOU ARE ALL THE BEST AND HAVE BEEN VERY KIND TO ME AND MY SON -- FOR THAT I SAY WARMLY - THANK YOU

Back
Top Bottom