Mag pumps are junk I need pump recommendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brenden

Aquarium Advice Addict
I had started a thread a few days ago about excess pump noise on a mag 36 pump. Today I have determined it is also raising my water temp a lot. ie 600 gallons of water 4 degrees in 24 hours. The mag pump is gone and I will not own another one of the pieces of junk. Any suggestions on a quiet dependable non-submersed pump in the 3500-5000 gph range?

Sorry to hear that Brenden. I haven't personally used them, but I have heard good things about Dolphin and GEN-X (Japanese series). Maybe research these and see what you think.

Mike

While I have heard bad things about the Mag36 the other Mag models have been nothing but relyable in my experence. I have personally used Mag5, Mag7 and Mag9.5

I do have a mag5 on my UV that currently has no issues. I believe the place I purchased it is going to take it back so that is good news. I am leaning toward the dolphin pump that salttanker suggested. Anyone have issues with them?

Look at the Reeflo Dart or Barracuda. Big flow and I have heard the Dart is almost silent.

I use a Dolphin 75 and it is almost silent short of a humm if you're next to it. I love it. I'm a previous Mag 36 user that had the same experience you did.

Bearfan...Are you talking about the dolphin 7500 6900gph? That quiet? What size intake and return lines you use?

The Dolphin's rock. I personally use a Little-Giant - I forget what specific model, but it churns the water! (with only a hum for presence that's covered up by flowing water noise) :D

Any suggestions on a quiet dependable non-submersed pump in the 3500-5000 gph range?

if it is a danner mag drive 36 you should of red the papers that came with it daner mags are not for inline sw use they are for in sump use only they need to be in the water not inline you will burn a daner out when used in line why they are like that i do not know but they need to be submeresd for sw use thats why you are haveing the heat problem and noise

elke: I did read the papers and is was submersed in the sump. How else could it have been raising the water temp that much? If the impeller was hot enough to raise the water temp then the thing would have melted. Mag 36 pumps make a bunch of noise and heat. read the other post on them.

sory you said you was looking for a non submersible pump i figured yopu was using it in closed loop no sump i have a 36 and have no problems with it also a 1200, 950, 500, and a 125 and have no heat or noise problems but i did cook one by trying to put it on a closed loop system which they can not cool when the case is dry sorry mis understood what you was doing with it

No need to apologize. I have two Iwaki 70's on either side of the sump that do not make near the noise the mag 36 made. I noticed my temp kept rising and thought a heater was malfunctioning so I unplugged all 4 of them and the next day it had risen another 2 degrees so I unplugged the mag and the temp fell back to normal. This pump must have problems if you have no heat problems with yours in 120 gal of water and mine was raising 600 gal 1-2 degrees a day. I decided to go external after this mag incident. That is why my post read the way it did.

ya there must be something wrong with that pump to heat 600g like that and i run 3 of those pumps in one tank and i have no chiller or nothing and i say at 80 degrees all the time i had a little heat prob but that was do to my house got hot you should contact danner mfg. about that you may be able to get a refund or another drive

Update: I got the Dolphin 7900gph pump installed and it is great. nice and quite and pumping tons of water. It is quiter than my Iwaki 70 so I may buy another one and replace it eventually.

Back
Top Bottom