Magic NitrAte Remover ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flyfishfan1966

Aquarium Advice Regular
Other than water changes is there a safe, fish friendly way??
Does nitrAte removing filter media work?
Assuming price or space not to be an issue, how could you make something that would?
I am experiment with house plant and herbs to see if they might feed on nitrAtes.

Thoughts? ideas? Suggestions??

Thanks

Other than water changes is there a safe, fish friendly way??
Does nitrAte removing filter media work?
Assuming price or space not to be an issue, how could you make something that would?
I am experiment with house plant and herbs to see if they might feed on nitrAtes.

Thoughts? ideas? Suggestions??

Thanks
Obviously the best way to remove Nitrates is water changes but if you are heavily stocked or have high Nitrates in your tap water, you could look at a product called Seachem DeNitrate. It needs to be in a filter with a flow of less than 50gph. I did a bit of research on this myself and if you get an Aquaclear 20 filter and set it up the usual way, media wise, just replace the regular bio-media with DeNitrate. You need to set the flow to minimum on the aquaclear and this will give you a flowrate of 33gph. Just put as much DeNitrate in the mesh bag as possible/needed.....

30-40ppm is not too bad. The denitrate should reduce it down to 10-20ppm easily. Just remember to use a filter with a flow of less than 50gph. A Marina Hang On Breeder Box or Aquaclear 20(reduced flow) should do it....

From Seachems Website:
"For best results, de*nitrate™ should be placed to assure the flow of water through it, such as in a canister filter, chemical filtration module, or box filter. Flow rate should not exceed 200 L (50 gallons*) per hour. If higher flow rates are unavoidable, use Matrix™ or Pond Matrix™. It is best to rinse off dust before use. Once de*nitrate™ has been in use for several days, nitrate concentrations should start to fall and level off gradually at a concentration of about 4–5 mg/L as nitrate. As long as nitrate concentrations remain under control, the product is not exhausted. Each 500 mL of de*nitrate™ treats about 100–200 L (25–50 gallons*), depending on initial nitrate concentration and the current biological load. Enough should be used to remove nitrate at a rate at least as fast as the rate of formation. If very high nitrates are initially present, they should be brought down to less than 20 mg/L with water changes"

Is the nitrate in your tap or just accumulating over time? Are you on municipal water?

How many fish in your aquarium? Sand or gravel substrate? Feeding pattern?

I will look up some of the fish you have but to think that you have a 180g aquarium & what looks to be a small bio-load...I'm not sure why the high nitrate. I might have another method but it more of a test for freshwater..I will get into it later.

How much PWC are you doing every week. I'm surprised that you have some nitrate in your water up there. I tested a few of my friends and they had 0.

Search up DIY water changes on YouTube. Eraujoey or something like that has a great walk through on how to set up an automatic water changer...

I had a phosphate and nitrate problem were alge was taking over my tank. I bought a phosphate and nitrate reducer Reactor. And I use Dr Tim's pellets alge is gone and levels are dropping. Research the use of Reactors and you'll understand. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom