Magnets and 3d backgrounds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giffmastaflex

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm going to build a 3D background in about a month or so and I just want to make sure I'm thinking about all the required materials. I know some people silicone the background to the tank but I don't like the fact that it is fixed in there, I was thinking about using magnets that are from a general hardware store that would be siliconed to the background and then stuck to the back by another magnet on the out side. Would any magnet be safe enough? If not could I completely seal the magnet in silicone to make sure it doesn't rust and harm the fish? Could I use plasti-dip to coat the magnet? Please help

What do you plan on making the background out of? If Styrofoam, it'll be very buoyant, and I don't believe the magnets will be able to hold it in place.

Yeah styrofoam but I plan on making a base to it so the dirt and sand will lay on it to keep it down,

All depends on what the backgrounds made out of

If it floats magnets won't hold it

Hi hope you don't mind me jumping in lol but I'm curious to know how you colour the Styrofoam? I'd like maybe a go at this myself...thanks

Well I'm going to paint it with some concrete and then ill get concrete stain to mix in. I work at lowes so I get a discount and maybe I can get something off for the ripped bags. But I'll experiment with small pieces first and put that in the tank to see what color it truly is when wet

Concrete will make the water very hard

If you are using concrete why not just stick rocks to chicken wire you would get a much better results

Rocks will make the tank too heavy and could possibly break it and YouTube some videos all of them use concrete. Also you wouldn't put fish in it right away you need to wait about a month and do water Chandra like ever 3-5 days (100%)

Back
Top Bottom