Magnum 350 canister filter questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

owasso_ok

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
With the used 77 gallon set up we purchased last week, it came with a Magnum 350 canister filter. If I remember correctly from other posts I've read, it's a good filter system. Can I get feedback from other Magnum canister filter users?

What about the best place to purchase replacement accessories such as the micron filter and o-rings?

Thanks!

I love the Magnums. I have two 350's and use them both on a 80 gallon turtle tank. I think for the buck, they are the best cans around. I know everyone else will say Ehiem is better, but again, for the price, I believe the Magnums are a better canister filter.

Not sure about purchasing replacement accessories. I know you can buy them directly from Marineland, but their not cheap. I had to buy a replacement impeller for one of them and it was around $20 or so. I think I have seen extra micron filters at walmart and the LFS.

You can usually buy the micron filters at the LFS, but www.petwarehouse.com has better prices. If you want to buy locally, just have them order you the o-rings. I only use the micron filter occassionally, to clean up the water. Everyday I use the canister as a biological filter filled with media to grow bacteria, you'll need the filter sleeve to go over it.

I run a Magnum 350 and a set of bio-wheels on my 70 gal tank. I like having two filters -- don't have to worry if one ever goes out and it keeps the tank cleaner.

If you're thinking about getting a bio-wheel, definitely check out www.petwarehouse.com (Dr.'s Foster & Smith). They'll send you a free catalog (and they send it pretty quick too.)

If you have any questions or problems with the Magnum, feel free to e-mail me. I don't check here very often.

~ Terri

I love mine. Every LFS around here carries replacement parts for them. I run 135g tank and I haven't had any kind of filtration problems yet so I say go for it!

I don't love mine, but I do like them a lot. Love reserved for the Eheim!

Anyway, as stated above, they do give you the most bang for the buck, a lot cheaper than most other cannisters, and very reliable. The micron cartridge, if cleaned and stored properly, should last a long time. Use the media filter regularly, and the micron from time to time for water polishing, and can be used for diatom fitration! (Even my Eheim cannot be used for diatom filtration, so the Magnum has a big edge there). Only drawback I know of is that they are noisier than most other cans, and the filter sleeve has to be cleaned a lot if you have lot of fish, or messy ones like predators or goldfish.

Back
Top Bottom