Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-17-2012, 11:41 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
You can go to walmart and in the crafts section you will see they sell stuffing for making your own pillows.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:43 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Go to a craft store or walmart and buy 100% polyfill/polyfiber. Make sure it is unscented and 100% polyfiber. You can cut it into whatever size pieces you need. I've been using it in my HOB filters for years. A big bag costs a couple bucks and will last you for years.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:43 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ocminpin Send a message via Yahoo to ocminpin Send a message via Skype™ to ocminpin
You guys are a lifesaver! Polyfill it is!!
thank you!
Guess it always pays to ask questions!
Old 01-17-2012, 01:12 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Also, you can wrap some polyfill around your intakes for a prefilter. Works great on keeping sand out of your filter and keeping the fry safe.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:25 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ocminpin Send a message via Yahoo to ocminpin Send a message via Skype™ to ocminpin
Quote:
Originally Posted by meegosh
Also, you can wrap some polyfill around your intakes for a prefilter. Works great on keeping sand out of your filter and keeping the fry safe.
I have a filter sponge to slide on for my fry tank... I remove fry once they're born into a separate 10g. I have gravel. Haven't ventured to sand yet.. Looks amazing tho.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:00 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

You should buy a single cartridge, keep rinsing the floss off when it gets dirty until the the floss is going to fall apart, then put the floss on.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:42 AM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link119 View Post
You should buy a single cartridge, keep rinsing the floss off when it gets dirty until the the floss is going to fall apart, then put the floss on.

Or save $5 and buy a bag of polyfill. Buying single cartridges seems harder and harder, everywhere is bundling them into 3 and 5 packs lately. A lot of those cartridges also contain carbon, which I don't run in any of my tanks. Overall polyfill filters the water better and is way cheaper than manufactured cartridges, IME.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:53 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just use an old filter cartridge as a stencil to cut my media to the right size. I use poly quilt batting that can be found at Hobby Lobby and many other stores. Costed like $5 and I have a lifetime supply of DIY filter pads. I also use some kitchen scrubbers (NOT INFUSED WITH SOAP OR CLEANERS) and cut them to size. Makes a good rigid filter to hold the quilt batting in place, and the stuff will probably last forever.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:05 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

The blue and white marineland filter floss is great! All you do is cut it to the size you want and put it in the filter! It does a good job of catching fine particles too. It's only like 7 bucks for a 2 by 4 sheet which lasts a while

Tags
filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com