Make my own filter pads??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
What could I use to make my own filter pads? I have an Aqueon Quietflow 10 (up to 20g) 100 gph

I need to move fish into the tank but don't have any pads...

I just thought about what I have and I cut the material off a new Aqua Tech Filter Cartridge an will use that. It will work okay right? Just no carbon in it...

take the old cartridge, strip it of all the cloth, then hot glue the floss that you cut to shape.

Link119 said:
take the old cartridge, strip it of all the cloth, then hot glue the floss that you cut to shape.

This time I had to toss my entire cartridge because of a mysterious infection that was killing my fish... Bleached tank, started over ...
Don't have any more cartridges... But u found bigger cartridges for my larger filter and cut a piece to fit from that...
Never had a filter without carbon though...

Terrance said:
Yes I think you get a 2ft wide, 4ft long piece of blue/white filter pad. You can probably get some cheaper filter pad online.

Oh how great! So much cheaper too! I never thought to get anything except what companies make for their filters..
Thank you :)

ocminpin said:
Oh how great! So much cheaper too! I never thought to get anything except what companies make for their filters..
Thank you :)

I always make my own! Your right, way cheaper than the overprice filter cartridges. I use car wash sponges, pot scrubbies and hobby/polly fill. :)

You can go to walmart and in the crafts section you will see they sell stuffing for making your own pillows.

Go to a craft store or walmart and buy 100% polyfill/polyfiber. Make sure it is unscented and 100% polyfiber. You can cut it into whatever size pieces you need. I've been using it in my HOB filters for years. A big bag costs a couple bucks and will last you for years.

Also, you can wrap some polyfill around your intakes for a prefilter. Works great on keeping sand out of your filter and keeping the fry safe.

meegosh said:
Also, you can wrap some polyfill around your intakes for a prefilter. Works great on keeping sand out of your filter and keeping the fry safe.

I have a filter sponge to slide on for my fry tank... I remove fry once they're born into a separate 10g. I have gravel. Haven't ventured to sand yet.. Looks amazing tho.

You should buy a single cartridge, keep rinsing the floss off when it gets dirty until the the floss is going to fall apart, then put the floss on.

You should buy a single cartridge, keep rinsing the floss off when it gets dirty until the the floss is going to fall apart, then put the floss on.

Or save $5 and buy a bag of polyfill. Buying single cartridges seems harder and harder, everywhere is bundling them into 3 and 5 packs lately. A lot of those cartridges also contain carbon, which I don't run in any of my tanks. Overall polyfill filters the water better and is way cheaper than manufactured cartridges, IME.

I just use an old filter cartridge as a stencil to cut my media to the right size. I use poly quilt batting that can be found at Hobby Lobby and many other stores. Costed like $5 and I have a lifetime supply of DIY filter pads. I also use some kitchen scrubbers (NOT INFUSED WITH SOAP OR CLEANERS) and cut them to size. Makes a good rigid filter to hold the quilt batting in place, and the stuff will probably last forever.

The blue and white marineland filter floss is great! All you do is cut it to the size you want and put it in the filter! It does a good job of catching fine particles too. It's only like 7 bucks for a 2 by 4 sheet which lasts a while

Back
Top Bottom