Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-13-2011, 05:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Making a refugium

Hello! I have a 54 corner reef system that I want to make a refugium for. Right now all I have on the tank is a Bakpac skimmer and a Fluvall cannister filter. I'd like to use spare parts I already have to do this. I have a mag 9.5 pump, the bakpak skimmer, 2 36" T5 lights, Heater. I can put the fuge behind the wall of the tank so size or height doesn't matter. I thought a 30 gallon breeder would be good because it's 36" long and would work for the lights as well as a nice amount of surface water for oxygen exchange. Do you think the Mag 9.5 could power a Eshopps 300 overflow box? Does anyone have a good plan for something like this? I'm also not sure what to put inside of it once it's done, I've heard of a lot of different things. Thanks in advance!

Old 07-13-2011, 06:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Max water flow on the eshopps overflow is 300 gph, the mag 9.5 is 950 an hour. You might be a TAD over on that and will have to restrict the heck out of it. A smaller pump would probably be in order. Just account for the head aas well.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:13 PM   #3

Thanks! any thoughts on my other questions?
Old 07-13-2011, 06:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have live rock, cheato, sand and some caulepera (sp?) in my refugium. I also added a packet of reef pods as well when I set it up. You can keep more exotic macro algae in there but I'm still new to this so I stuck with the easy ones.

i do have mangroves in my 29g bicube fuge , it was in my big sump but they were too short. lol
Old 07-13-2011, 06:52 PM   #5

Thanks so much. I want to put mangroves in too. I think they're cool. Can you get reef pods at your LFS?
Old 07-13-2011, 07:00 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I got mine online when I ordered some clean up crew and some rock. It was $12 a bag I think.

ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae - Reef Pods
Old 07-13-2011, 07:04 PM   #7

Looks like a great website Thanks!

Tags
refugium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com