making the tank level

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snoopybdb

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am setting up a 75 gal. I live in a very old house where the floor is unlevel. We bought wood shims to try to level the tank, but doesn't seem like it's going to work. The tank needs to go up atleast 1/2" in the back and none in the fron to make it level. Does anyone have any ideas on placement of the wood shims to make the tank level and supported all the way around? TIA

I just recently dealt with this issue last week on my 46G. Are you setting up on carpet or hardwood/linoleum? If you're setting up on carpet, remember that the carpet will "give" a little and therefore the shim thickness should be judged accordingly. I have a stand thats curved in front so I used a 3/8" piece of Luan plywood that I scroll sawed to match the contour of the stand for its full length. it only needed to be an inch deep to do the trick.. and it worked beautifully....tank is level!

good thing for you is that it is tilted back and not forward... you want to make it level so the water looks level, but if it has to lean one way, back is the safest. I sympathize with your situation though... all i wanted to do was setup my tank when i realized that the floor wasn't level....just another frustrating hurdle to overcome, but it's a pretty quick fix once you get the height of the shimm sorted out.

Ryan

With 800+lbs of tank make sure you use hardwood shims and not cheap pine ones. As ryguy said your lucky it’s in the back so it doesn’t show. I’d space them about every 4-6” in the back and put 2-4 on the sides for support. If you have a center bracket on the stand shim that as well. I would use two bubble levels, one on each end of the tank personally.

Thanks so much guys. This is just frustrating. All I want to do is get the tank going so I can move my fishies from their tiny tank to their big one!

Back
Top Bottom