Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 02-24-2007, 11:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 405
Making Water Movement

I want to get a nozzle that will squirt water around near the substrate to keep down the mulm bild-up. I have never used anything but bubble up and hang on filters, so don't know anything about power heads, connections, nozzles, etc - where to get, what kind to get, should the power head be inside the tank and submerged or outside, etc? Anyone experienced who can summarize how to get something going in this area?
__________________

__________________
itafx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 11:14 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
 
Ziggy953's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Owings Mills, Maryland
Posts: 9,101
That is an easy fix. Your LFS should carry PHs, just have a look and see if you can find one that will fit in your tank. I don't think you are going to want too much flow but some will help you out. I would suggest a submerged PH that goes right down on the bottom where you have the problem. Not knowing how big your tank is but assuming it is FW I would expect that a maxi-jet 600 would do the trick.
__________________

__________________
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 11:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 783
You could look into making an under gravel jet system.
__________________
Come Join The Dark Side
Marc118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 11:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy953
That is an easy fix. Your LFS should carry PHs, just have a look and see if you can find one that will fit in your tank. I don't think you are going to want too much flow but some will help you out. I would suggest a submerged PH that goes right down on the bottom where you have the problem. Not knowing how big your tank is but assuming it is FW I would expect that a maxi-jet 600 would do the trick.
It's FW. Sorry to be so dense, but I looked at a picture of the MaxiJEt 600 and I don't understand how it works. It looks like it's not submersible. I was thinking of something I'd burry 3/4 of the way in the substrate and have a jet poking out that would shoot water around. Can you help me understand how these things work a little more?
__________________
itafx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 11:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by itafx
It's FW. Sorry to be so dense, but I looked at a picture of the MaxiJEt 600 and I don't understand how it works. It looks like it's not submersible. I was thinking of something I'd burry 3/4 of the way in the substrate and have a jet poking out that would shoot water around. Can you help me understand how these things work a little more?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc118
You could look into making an under gravel jet system.
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ug_jets.php
__________________
Marc118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 01:31 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 405
That's a fabulous article! That's exactly the sort of thing I had in mind. Thanks for the link!!!
__________________

__________________
itafx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
movement

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
water movement will8 General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 6 08-08-2008 04:56 PM
water movement ??? oldfishead Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 4 01-07-2007 02:44 PM
Do I have enough water movement? mnestroy Saltwater Reef Aquaria 2 04-10-2006 11:29 AM
water movement jester Saltwater Reef Aquaria 1 04-27-2004 09:11 AM
Water Movement ? Wally Saltwater Reef Aquaria 6 03-09-2004 11:11 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.