Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-24-2007, 11:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Making Water Movement

I want to get a nozzle that will squirt water around near the substrate to keep down the mulm bild-up. I have never used anything but bubble up and hang on filters, so don't know anything about power heads, connections, nozzles, etc - where to get, what kind to get, should the power head be inside the tank and submerged or outside, etc? Anyone experienced who can summarize how to get something going in this area?

Old 02-24-2007, 11:14 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

That is an easy fix. Your LFS should carry PHs, just have a look and see if you can find one that will fit in your tank. I don't think you are going to want too much flow but some will help you out. I would suggest a submerged PH that goes right down on the bottom where you have the problem. Not knowing how big your tank is but assuming it is FW I would expect that a maxi-jet 600 would do the trick.

Old 02-24-2007, 11:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You could look into making an under gravel jet system.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy953
That is an easy fix. Your LFS should carry PHs, just have a look and see if you can find one that will fit in your tank. I don't think you are going to want too much flow but some will help you out. I would suggest a submerged PH that goes right down on the bottom where you have the problem. Not knowing how big your tank is but assuming it is FW I would expect that a maxi-jet 600 would do the trick.
It's FW. Sorry to be so dense, but I looked at a picture of the MaxiJEt 600 and I don't understand how it works. It looks like it's not submersible. I was thinking of something I'd burry 3/4 of the way in the substrate and have a jet poking out that would shoot water around. Can you help me understand how these things work a little more?
Old 02-24-2007, 11:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by itafx
It's FW. Sorry to be so dense, but I looked at a picture of the MaxiJEt 600 and I don't understand how it works. It looks like it's not submersible. I was thinking of something I'd burry 3/4 of the way in the substrate and have a jet poking out that would shoot water around. Can you help me understand how these things work a little more?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc118
You could look into making an under gravel jet system.
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ug_jets.php
Old 02-25-2007, 01:31 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

That's a fabulous article! That's exactly the sort of thing I had in mind. Thanks for the link!!!

Tags
movement

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com