Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-08-2012, 11:01 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Question mangrove seedlings

I recently went to Florida and saw a bunch of red mangroves that had dropped their seeds. There were some that had germinated and were seedlings. I decided to try an experiment to see if they would grow and dug up about 20 of the seedlings and a couple handfulls of the seeds along with some of the muddy sand they were growing in with some brackish water. I put them into an old 10 gallon tank with the seeds just thrown on top.

Today, I counted 52 seedlings in the tank ranging from 3 to 8 inches tall and only half a dozen seeds, so I suppose my experiment was a success. I have heard that you can use them in a sump for a salt tank, but I dont know how many I can keep, or if it is even feasable for me at this time since I just bought a used salt tank and it will be quite a while before I get it set up.

Can anyone tell me if there is something else I can do with these? I dont want to throw them away but if they have no use, I might as well.

Why do I love fish? Because every time I stare into the little world I have created for them, every problem I have just floats away....
Retired_AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion
You could probably sell them to reefers. A lot of people use them in their refugium for nutrient export, though they're a little more troublesome than chaeto because they have to be grown emersed.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com