mangrove seedlings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Retired_AF

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently went to Florida and saw a bunch of red mangroves that had dropped their seeds. There were some that had germinated and were seedlings. I decided to try an experiment to see if they would grow and dug up about 20 of the seedlings and a couple handfulls of the seeds along with some of the muddy sand they were growing in with some brackish water. I put them into an old 10 gallon tank with the seeds just thrown on top.

Today, I counted 52 seedlings in the tank ranging from 3 to 8 inches tall and only half a dozen seeds, so I suppose my experiment was a success. I have heard that you can use them in a sump for a salt tank, but I dont know how many I can keep, or if it is even feasable for me at this time since I just bought a used salt tank and it will be quite a while before I get it set up.

Can anyone tell me if there is something else I can do with these? I dont want to throw them away but if they have no use, I might as well.

You could probably sell them to reefers. A lot of people use them in their refugium for nutrient export, though they're a little more troublesome than chaeto because they have to be grown emersed.

Back
Top Bottom