Marine Penguin Bio Filter issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ErinMcG

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all,
I have a Marineland Penguin Biowheel 200. The other day, during a pwc, I gapped and forgot to unplug it. The impeller started making nasty noises when the water level dropped below the intake level and I unplugged it frantically. It took ages and lots of fiddling after I refilled the tank, but eventually it started up again. Not before it rattled a lot, tried to suck water and spit it about uselessly and then rattled more.

Today, I had to do another pwc. Turned it off right away, did my pwc and then turned it back on. Same stuff happened, but this time it started working sooner. However, the filter is now a bit noisier than usual... It has a wee bit of a rattle. It doesn't sound like the impeller... In fact, I can't pinpoint the noise, but it's there. Did I break my filter? :(

Is your tank sand by chance? That's what happened to mine. Forgot to turn it off and a little bit of sand came up and killed the impeller.

If you have sand any HOB filter will do this. Only real way to fix it is take off the filter and wash it out completely.

I finally got so fed up with it I'm trying out a sump for filter. HOB are always worked great with gravel but sand just is to much for them.

Nope - no sand. Not yet, anyway. :)

Was planning to cover the filter intake with pantyhose to prevent that when I do switch to sand.

Hm...I'd take it outside and turn the hose on jet..if you have a nozzle. I just did that earlier with my AC70 and my TopFin 60. Both got some sand. The AC was fine after I hosed out the energizer.
The TopFin impeller was scratched and that's why it's noisy. I even tried sanding down all the scratches but no luck. Just need a new impeller now.

Eep! It's been fine for ages and all of a sudden, it quit. I was on the sofa when I heard the filter sort of spit and then silence. A few seconds later, the impeller started to rattle. Shut it off for a moment, primed it, turned it on and it worked.

Barely had time to sit down before it repeated the process. Primed it again and it is working, but I am worried. What if it quits in the night? Or while I am out!

I'd try to clean it with the hose like I said before. I guess you could maybe have a dud energizer. I'd keep an eye on it over the next few days. If it keeps cutting out you might want to have a backup ready.

Mr.Pleco said:
I'd try to clean it with the hose like I said before. I guess you could maybe have a dud energizer. I'd keep an eye on it over the next few days. If it keeps cutting out you might want to have a backup ready.

Thanks, Mr Pleco. I did hose it out, but I may have to try again. I have a back up, so maybe it is time to pull it out.

I had the exact same thing happen to mine. I had calcium build up. Soak it in half vinegar and water mixture, it will dissolve it all off. Clean it then when you put it back together, push the propeller and hose back in while it's on. It takes a couple of seconds for it to start pumping. Good luck

Jmkb02 said:
I had the exact same thing happen to mine. I had calcium build up. Soak it in half vinegar and water mixture, it will dissolve it all off. Clean it then when you put it back together, push the propeller and hose back in while it's on. It takes a couple of seconds for it to start pumping. Good luck

Awesome! I will try that. Just normal white vinegar, I assume....

Yup half water half white vinegar. Oh when I put mine back together I had to turn it on first and then put it together bc it wouldn't pump right when I put it together first. Pm me if u need any more help

Back
Top Bottom