Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-06-2005, 07:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to Chriznat20
Marineland Bio-wheel.... problems

About 6-7 months ago I bought a marineland bio-wheel 170 for my 55 gal fw tank. Im running a whisper 30 or 40 also.

Anyways I noticed just now while feeding the fish that the filter wasnt working. Wtf?? I checked it, the motor was real hot and the impeller and motor were clean (free of algae, hair, etc). I cleaned it out anyways and plugged it back in - no go.

What gives?? Is this all these retarded things are meant to last for? Is this a common problem?

46 Gallon Bow F/W: 4 - Zebra Danio's, 2 - Red Platy's, 2 - lg. Silver Dollars, 1 - Pleco (4.5"), 1- Gourami, 1 - Cory Cat, 1 - mystery snail, 4 - Cherry Barbs, 1 - Black Molly
Chriznat20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 06:41 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Eek. Is the motor running at all now, or is it just not pushing water? I've always known marineland to be a good brand of equipment. I would give their customer service line a call and see what they reccomend. They'll likely send you a replacement.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 10:32 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
Mine has been working for a long time with no problems at all. It's a good thing that you have a back up filter!
Gracias amigos!
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 10:35 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
I have also had no problem with marineland. I have had to contact customer service before with just a question and they were extremely responsive and helpful.

Had you done a water change and not primed the filter when you turned it back on? Meaning, was there for some reason no water for the filter to filter?
Join the Eastern PA/Greater Philadelphia Forum! Click here: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/groupcp.php?g=7825

Aquariums are like jello - there's always room for more.
lmw80 is offline   Reply With Quote

bio, bio-wheel, eel, marineland

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com