Marineland canister filter leaking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sumpnfishy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I purchased 3 C series Marineland canisters several years ago (2008 I think). They worked great for awhile but on down the road I would take them apart to clean them then they leaked like crazy. Tried a few things but moved on to other filters I had at the time. My last one in my living room tank did the same thing this week. As long as you don't clean them they run fine.
Did some searches and it seems they have a bad rep for this leaking issue. Customer support recommended plumbers silicon on the gaskets. I've seen others say vaseline works. But the nice lady at support said that is petroleum based and not good for the water.

Has anybody figured out the best option for this gasket issue?

I just picked up the silicone and am testing it right now.

Have you ever replaced the gasket? I'm wondering if it's not sealing well because the rubber is getting a bit old?

A lot of info in the Amazon customer reviews and it seemed new gaskets didn't usually help. Also it wasn't leaking until I took it apart and cleaned it.

It leaked again on my first try with the plumbers silicon. This time I'm cleaning everything where the gasket fits and I'll try again.

If you can tell me were it is leaking from I can help you. I have an Eheim 2213 canister filter and I have only had a leak once when I did not properly put back the rubber seal after cleaning it. Usually canister filters leak from the quick disconnects or the rubber seal if there not put on properly.

This is around the head unit where it fits onto the base. There is one large gasket on the head unit that should be sealing this. It starts off working fine then starts leaking after a few hours.

The reason it works at first is because you have air in the canister and the pressure is not as high as it would be when it is all full of water. What you can do is order a new gasket or just take it clean it, readjust it, and put it back in. Sometime the problem is the gasket has moved a bit out of place but if that is not the case than you probably have to order a new one.

Ehiem actually recommends Vaseline for lubricating their gaskets in their manuals. I also had a marineland canister that lasted a few years and now leaks everywhere. Now I use an eheim 2028 and fluval 206 and have used for several years with no issues. Marineland customer service was absolutely useless and therefor I will not use them again.

Ehiem actually recommends Vaseline for lubricating their gaskets in their manuals. I also had a marineland canister that lasted a few years and now leaks everywhere. Now I use an eheim 2028 and fluval 206 and have used for several years with no issues. Marineland customer service was absolutely useless and therefor I will not use them again.

I'd always heard no Vaseline on anything rubber-based because it degrades the material. Silicon gaskets are probably unaffected. Not knowing which I have, I googled and learned that the tube of Lansinoh lanolin I almost threw out when I was cleaning out old stuff in the cabinets is perfect for lubing o-rings no matter which kind. Hope none of my fish are allergic to wool :lol:

Back
Top Bottom