Marineland DB - does it wash out fish color?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hholly

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I finally got fish in my tank and I've noticed they're not quite as colorful as at the LFS. I know the stress can wash them out, but even the blue eyes on my Furcatas look green. There seems to not be as much blue in any of the fish. Could it be the LEDs?

Do the blues show? I'm seeing yellows, reds, and green. But not much blue in the fish that should have some.

I don't have fish with much blue other than my dwarf gourami, but it looks just as good as it did under fluorescent lighting.

I was soooo disappointed with that light. Kinda a stale color IMO and I use to swear by that light for its moonlight and shimmer effect. I tossed it quick and went with this.

I'm much happier and I think it brings out A lot o the colors in the tank. Again it's just my opinion.

View attachment 63683

Last edited:
Yeah, now I wish I could return it. I like the idea of LEDs, hate disposing of fluorescent tubes. But this is pretty disappointing. I know my fish are prettier than they appear.

You can't return it? I would say return it and get a pair of T5 high output lights. I fell in love with mine!!

Tell whoever you bought them from that your friend the fire chief isn't happy with them. They never wanna upset a firefighter let alone a fire chief! ;)

Lol, you're crazy dude. :) No I can't return it. Ordered it online and recycled the box already. Oh well, I'll save up for something else.

Hholly said:
Lol, you're crazy dude. :) No I can't return it. Ordered it online and recycled the box already. Oh well, I'll save up for something else.

That stinks. I thought LED's were the best and then I found, like I said the T5 HO's.

I will never go back. And yeah... Just a wee bit crazy!! :)

You should see some of the high end LEDs. Now those are nuts. LOL.

Hholly, since you can't return your LED fixture, is there any way you could add a fluorescent strip along with it? It doesn't need to be anything expensive or high output even, but I have a feeling if you added an actinic bulb to your tank you might like the look of it.

severum mama said:

Hholly, since you can't return your LED fixture, is there any way you could add a fluorescent strip along with it? It doesn't need to be anything expensive or high output even, but I have a feeling if you added an actinic bulb to your tank you might like the look of it.

That's a good idea didn't think of that. High end LED's huh? That got my motor going...

severum mama said:

I will look into that. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom