Marineland Eclipse 3 filter and light feedback?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had the 3g Eclipse kit which is basically a small acrylic tank and a much much smaller version of that hood. Same filtration system and all. Honestly, I was not impressed at all. You are pretty much forced to buy their filter cartridges, which start to get expensive after a while. Not much else to stick in there as sponges and filter floss will just float towards the bio-wheel and jam it. You can't go without a cartridge either or the bio-wheel turns into a monsterous nitrate producer. Their reflectors on the lights are garbage too.

To put it simply, I would just go with an HOB/Canister and a light fixture that suits your needs.

Welcome to AA!

To put it simply, I would just go with an HOB/Canister and a light fixture that suits your needs.

Hmmm. I was thinking of getting a bowfront but reconsidered when I saw that the Eclipse would fit a flat walled tank I was considering. But if this system isn't that good then I might just as well get the bowfront after all.

This one: Acrylic Aquarium Tank: SeaClear Bowfront Aquarium Tank at PETCO

The reviews say the tank is good but the light kinda sucks. (Any advice on replacement fixtures?)

Can you recommend a filter and pump for this tank? I'd like something fairly quite since it will be in a bedroom.

(I'm a complete n00b so I don't know what I need. :blink:)

I had/have an Eclipse 6, and it has a similar setup. Gonna support Thominil and also add that I never had anything but problems with getting the biowheel to even turn.

The light fixture you need will depend on the requirements of the plants you intend to keep (if you do a planted fw setup). Otherwise, the light fixture that comes with the tank will do just fine. I have no experience with SeaClear, but I do have to warn you that acrylic scratches very easily. As for filters, it really depends on if you want a cannister filter or a hang-on-back (HOB) filter. Powerheads/pumps depend on what kind of flow your tank inuabotants prefer.

Last edited:
The light fixture you need will depend on the requirements of the plants you intend to keep (if you do a planted fw setup).

I'll use plastic plants and fresh water fish. I like the look of loaches so I'll probably start with them.

This one seems like a good price but I don't know about the filter:

SeaClear Rectangular 40 Gallon Junior Executive Kits at PETCO

I'd like something effective but quite since it will be in a bedroom.

:thanks:

Hi! I have a SeaClear 50 gallon. I have a aquaclear 70 filter and a Penn plax cascade 1000 canister fliter. Both work well with the filter and other holes in the top of the SeaClear. As I like to not completely close up the aquarium I have screens on my two light holes and added a standard length relacement light. The one that come with them really was inadequate.

I have found this tank very well made. It really does not scratch easily. I used a microfiber cloth to rinse/clean and an acrylic scrubby to get algae.

I also have two glass tank and this one I'd just as easy to take care of. Plus it's lighter. I could have never managed to set up a glass one of this size.

IMO it was a good deal.

Hi! I have a SeaClear 50 gallon. I have a aquaclear 70 filter and a Penn plax cascade 1000 canister filter.

Why do you have two filters? The Aquaclear is rates at up to 70 gallons.

Would you take a shot of the top of your tank so I can see how you have everything installed?

I have two filters because I have goldfish and they are happier with 10 times filtration...it works. I'm going to try to attact some photos

Attachments

• image-3889443421.jpg
    image-3889443421.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 177
  • image-183137883.jpg
    image-183137883.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 164
I have two filters because I have goldfish and they are happier with 10 times filtration...it works. I'm going to try to attact some photos

I think I'm going to get the exact same tank but clear.

Now I just need to decide on a filter.

Anything else I'll need (other than rocks and decorations)?

If you don't have one, I'd also get a water python. It really makes the cleaning and refilling easier.

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine!

Back
Top Bottom