Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-14-2010, 07:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Marineland Eclipse Explorer II Aquarium Kit - Explorer II Black - (2 Gallon)

I am interested in this product for my daughter's betta, but have read the incandescent bulbs put out too much heat for the tank, heating the water too much.

Does anyone know if I can swap with Compact Florescent Lights in the same sockets without a problem and will they fit?

Do they use the same size and do they make CFL with the same sized base that would fit.... assuming someone out there has this kit.

thanks

Old 07-16-2010, 01:52 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

I would just get a 5 or 10 gallon glass tank. Anything below 5 gallons you are going to have significant temperature swings with almost any lights.

Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Step up to the 5g. Your fish will appreciate it. I bought my wife a Marineland Eclipse 5g hexagon tank for Christmas a few years ago because she wanted a betta. It's honestly the smallest tank I'd consider putting a betta in. They get bigger and look better if they're in a bigger tank. I actually swapped my wife a 20H for her 5g, which is now a shrimp tank.

That said, the Marineland 5g comes with a CFL bulb. It's a daylight spectrum 15W U-shaped CFL.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

yeah, thanks I have been actually checking it out... am for sure on the 3 gallon which comes with a 5 watt tubular florescent designed for plant growth as well...

thanks
mjg
Old 07-16-2010, 10:10 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would either go with the 5g or 12g kit. I have the 3g and originally planned on using it for a small QT and found it to be small for small freshwater community fish when I had freshy tanks. I now just use it to hatch baby brine shrimp every now and then, which is about all it's good for IMO, either that or a small low-light planted tank with a few shrimp or snails. HTH.
Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:18 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thominil View Post
I would either go with the 5g or 12g kit. I have the 3g and originally planned on using it for a small QT and found it to be small for small freshwater community fish when I had freshy tanks. I now just use it to hatch baby brine shrimp every now and then, which is about all it's good for IMO, either that or a small low-light planted tank with a few shrimp or snails. HTH.
Thank you for your comments. I plan to use it to house only a single betta. He was in a 10 gallon tank, the plan was long term to add a few compatible fish. We took him out of the tank, added three pladies, and eventually put him back in. I watched continuously for an hour to an hour and a half and then frequently throughout the night, and everything was fine.

Both sides were minding thier own business, and neither appeared interested in the other.

The following morning was a different scene. Checked on the tank, and the betta was pursuing two of the pladies like the red barron in a dogfight with allied planes. I immediately netted him and put him back in his bowl.

Two of the pladies were missing pieces of their tail fins. Guess he must have worn them down during the night.

Now I need a place for the betta, but we are on a tight budget and even the marineland eclipse III is way more than she (wife) would wish for me to spend, but, I want to buy the III, so my daughter can have the betta in her room, and the betta a pretty suitable environment. (Though I aslo worry about a 10.2 + to one gallon flow ratio... I think the gph on the filter is 35gph).

I could actually get a 5 gallon cheaper but it would be much larger on her dresser.

I already have some extra gravel and a plant from the 10G I can put in there.

Do you think this tank will work for a single betta and a crypt or java fern?

Thanks in advance for your advice
Old 07-17-2010, 01:28 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

There is honestly very little flow coming from the filter, and I suspect the filter on the 5g isn't much different, so you should be fine and your betta won't get tossed around at all. If you can get the 5g, go for it. Not sure on the crypt (was never a planted enthusiast, just kept simple stuff), but java ferns should be fine.
Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:53 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
Java fern should be fine, but I don't know about the crypt, maybe an anubias would work and the 3g should be much better than the bowl (and those cups that people buy them in.. ick...)

Also note that (I'm sure you already know this, but to be thorough) a 3g will require more maintenance than a 10 gallon (less water, surface area, etc). Buy the biggest tank you can fit, but temperature swings might be an issue if there isn't a heater.

Depending on your price range, there are probably a few hex tanks that are larger with a similar footprint that would work.

Here's one, and I think it's a similar price to the eclipse 2 (if you buy online)

This is just an example, and I've never bought from this place

ANTOnline.com - Tetra PFES05HX Marineland Eclipse Seamless Integrated Aquarium System, 5 Gallons, Hex
Old 07-17-2010, 03:19 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Marineland Hex 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by krap101 View Post
Java fern should be fine, but I don't know about the crypt, maybe an anubias would work and the 3g should be much better than the bowl (and those cups that people buy them in.. ick...)

Also note that (I'm sure you already know this, but to be thorough) a 3g will require more maintenance than a 10 gallon (less water, surface area, etc). Buy the biggest tank you can fit, but temperature swings might be an issue if there isn't a heater.

Depending on your price range, there are probably a few hex tanks that are larger with a similar footprint that would work.

Here's one, and I think it's a similar price to the eclipse 2 (if you buy online)

This is just an example, and I've never bought from this place

ANTOnline.com - Tetra PFES05HX Marineland Eclipse Seamless Integrated Aquarium System, 5 Gallons, Hex

Nice!.... great price too, i am kind of stuck on marineland, i like the filtration system / bio wheel. I have read several reviews the filtration system breaks down after like 6 months, and that they scratch very easily... seems a great betta tank.

I am seriously considering it.....

thanks
Old 07-19-2010, 10:48 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

My 5g hex has been running for a few years now with no problems. I did tear up the old filter cartridge to make my own out of it, but that's the only thing I do different from stock. There isn't much water movement, so it's perfect for bettas or shrimp.

Tags
2 gallon, eclipse, marineland

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com