Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-29-2012, 12:31 PM   #1
rav
Aquarium Advice Regular

Marineland Emperor 400

purchased the 400 for our 55 gallon tank, it made a lot of noise so I called Marineland customer support and they sent me a new impeller. that did not help, called back and was told to return to store for another one. did that and the new one is even louder!! they both made a mechanical sound. I called customer support back and they said to just return it to the store, which I did, they could hear it in the background and agreed it was not normal.
has anyone else had this problem? it was so loud we had to turn the TV up almost twice as loud.
I replaced it with the Aqueon Quiet Flow 55/75 and it is sooo much quieter, I just needed to get something and this is what they had at the store. I like the Aqueon because you don't have to prime it- should the power go off it will draw water and continue to filter. we have several times when the power will go off for a few minutes (a good trade for country living!)
what are your thoughts on the Aqueon filter and are there some recommendations for another type?

Old 01-29-2012, 12:33 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Never had a problem with ANY of my marineland filters. I ran a few. I did switch to AC 110's only because there was more options with media and such.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:44 PM   #3
jlk
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have both of these filters & the Marineland is loud in comparison!! I personally like the aqueons & theres lots of room to stuff filter media in them.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:46 PM   #4
rav
Aquarium Advice Regular

thanks for the input- I will stay with the Aqueon. good to know about adding the filter media. the tank is actually looking cleaner

Tags
marineland

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com