Marineland Filters Vibrating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cornstar

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I think about a week or two after adding sand, my emperor 400 started to make a vibrating sound. I am not sure if it is coincidence, but I turned off my filter until all the sand settled down.

I took it apart and gave it a nice cleaning and put everything back in place. It functions fine, but now it just makes a loud noise :(

Check the impeller very closely. Make sure there are no chips in the blades and they all look uniform. Even slight damage to one blade can throw it out of balance and cause noise. Make sure there is nothing else in the well around the magnet also.

Good luck!

Thanks, I'll check the impellers, and what am I to do if there are chips on the blades? And also what magnets would you happen to be referring to?

When Marineland filters are new, or after you clean them they will make noise for a couple of weeks until a bio film develops on the impeller magnet(the grey magnet that is part of the impeller assembly) My Emperor filters do it all the time. Thats part of the reason I am changing over to Aqua-Clears.(y)

I had a E. 400 and have two E. 280 filter, they have never made any kind of noise, even when new or cleaned. Maybe because I have the older models.

When Marineland filters are new, or after you clean them they will make noise for a couple of weeks until a bio film develops on the impeller magnet(the grey magnet that is part of the impeller assembly) My Emperor filters do it all the time. Thats part of the reason I am changing over to Aqua-Clears.(y)

I found out that if the media basket in my AC70 isn't placed just right, it will rattle. Also, the lid makes it a little noisy too. But..my tanks are in my bedroom and that's probably why I notice every little noise. All in all though, they are excellent filters. I bought a AC20 for my 10g and it is nearly silent.

I had a E. 400 and have two E. 280 filter, they have never made any kind of noise, even when new or cleaned. Maybe because I have the older models.
The older models were much better(better built) they were made in the U.S. then they were built overseas for a few years. (problems) i understand they are going to start building them here again. This is what my wholesaler tells me anyway!!

Back
Top Bottom