Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-22-2011, 12:49 AM   #91
Aquarium Advice Addict

OK folks... it's not just the Stealth Pro heaters anymore. Read here:

Marineland Update

So for those that don't like to click links and actually read, they're recalling not only the Stealth Pro, but the old Stealth's also... the ones with just the red knob and no LED. The old Stealth models under recall start with "ETP" and include all sizes from 25W and higher.

I checked the old-style Stealth in my water storage tub, and it's an "ETP" model, and it's probably at least 3 years old.

So I take back all I said about the old Stealths not being recalled. Get rid of 'em.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:58 AM   #92
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Bought a brand new Stealth Pro 100watt back in early February (from an eBay retailer). It has worked well- but now I am concerned (apparently for good reason). Anyone contacted Marineland about this recall since the official notice has gone out? I assume I will be without the heater waiting for a replacement from them?

Old 04-26-2011, 02:03 AM   #93
Aquarium Advice FINatic

UPDATE:

Called Marineland/United Pet Group this morning regarding my Stealth Pro 100Watt heater (hadn't had any trouble out of it).

After what the automated answer indicated would be a 6-10 minute hold time, I actually spoke to a fellow after just over 20 minutes. He took my name, address, and telephone # and said that FedEx would be to my house between 9AM and 6PM Wednesday to pick up the heater (I need to box it up). After they receive the heater, I will get a refund check.

No mention of a receipt/how much I paid for it. No mention of how long it would take to get the check...

Hmmm.....

So I went out and bought a new heater - as my "back-up" was dead.

Anyone else have a recent account of dealing with this mess?
Old 04-26-2011, 10:21 AM   #94
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just got an email from Foster & Smith about the recall of the Stealth heaters. Very odd, they are all I ever used and never noticed an issue. I was just going to buy a new one, too!

EDIT- Just realized it's not the Visitherm (?) that's being recalled.
Marconis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:19 PM   #95
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well great! So what are we supposed to heat our tanks with while waiting for a new heater??? Does anyone know if we can take heaters back to the pet store still? I did get an e-mail from Foster & Smith, but I just scanned through it, I guess I should go read it...
Old 04-27-2011, 12:42 AM   #96
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkpate
Well great! So what are we supposed to heat our tanks with while waiting for a new heater??? Does anyone know if we can take heaters back to the pet store still? I did get an e-mail from Foster & Smith, but I just scanned through it, I guess I should go read it...
Only option- either keep the room temperature at what you want the tank to stay at (no thanks), or go buy you another heater then spend refund check elsewhere.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:04 AM   #97
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well that's a bummer. Guess I'll have to pull my old style Stealth and pick up a Fluval or Jager like I was going to before I saw this one on "It's an old model"-sale.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:17 PM   #98
Look It Up

Thanks so much for the update! I had a Marineland Stealth Pro I just purchased a few weeks ago. Saw this thread and right away replaced it with another brand. I now have the Stealth locked in a closet until I decide whether to try to get a refund (no longer have the receipt) or just throw it out, I'm kind of afraid to handle it at this point lol. Thanks for the info!
Old 04-29-2011, 01:57 PM   #99
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by libraygirl
Thanks so much for the update! I had a Marineland Stealth Pro I just purchased a few weeks ago. Saw this thread and right away replaced it with another brand. I now have the Stealth locked in a closet until I decide whether to try to get a refund (no longer have the receipt) or just throw it out, I'm kind of afraid to handle it at this point lol. Thanks for the info!
Call the number on the recall info (go to marineland.com for details- link is at bottom of main page). No receipt needed. Either way- don't use the heater! 30 something fires, and 40 something explosions convinced me to yank mine out!
Old 04-29-2011, 01:58 PM   #100
Aquarium Advice FINatic

http://www.marinelandheaterrecall.com/

Tags
alert, eat, eater, heater, led, marineland, stealth, stealth pro

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com