Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-30-2011, 02:58 PM   #151
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkpate
Here is the CPSC recall notice. I just called PetSmart, and they said they would give me a store credit, then I called Petco and they said they hadn't heard anything about it.
You local PetCo rep is lying and/or just ignored the notices they DID receive.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:07 PM   #152
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just sent an email to Petco, but I guess it goes to corporate or whatever. They just said to check with your local Petco! Geez, thanks alot.

I know last year before the recall I had trouble with a Stealth that I bought from Petco, had the packaging, receipt and everything, but since it was after 30 days or whatever, I had to send it back to Marineland. Thankfully I had a spare at home, because it took about a month before I received a replacement. And what did they replace it with, you may ask? Yep, a Stealth PRO!

I haven't seen any notices at my local Petco that I noticed, but the last time I was there, I forgot to ask about returning my heaters to them. I would rather do that than mail them out to Marineland, even though I can just use my postage meter at work and not pay for it. I don't want to wait. I want immediate gratification, dang it!

Old 05-30-2011, 04:29 PM   #153
Aquarium Advice FINatic

In the last two months, I have been in 3 petsmarts and 4 Petco stores in two states- and all have had the same Marineland Stealth/StealthPro recall sticker clearly posted in the heater section. The sticker is approximately 8.5 x 5.5 inches.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:32 PM   #154
Aquarium Advice Addict

I printed out that recall, and I am taking it to Petco today.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:11 PM   #155
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just got back from Petco, and they gave me money back for all 4 heaters! $165 whoohoo!
Old 05-30-2011, 08:28 PM   #156
Aquarium Advice Freak

Good for you! Maybe I should do the same and see what happens? As I said, I haven't actually spoken to anyone at my local Petco in person, so I should probably do that and be "armed" when I do!

Marineland mailed me a letter with the recall on it and danged if I can find the thing! I'll have to print out the one from on here as well.

Most of the heaters that I have are those glass Visitherms or Aqueons. As has been mentioned, not terribly accurate, but my Stealths weren't either! Always a few degrees in one direction or the other. One of my Stealths kept it too hot and I had another one that shocked me! It was weird. It wasn't really a shock per se, but when I had it in a tank and put my hand in the tank to do a pwc, I felt like a strong tingling on my arm. AT first I thought it was me because I have nerve problems in my arms and they do tingle, but not like that! Very strange, but very lucky that it didn't seem to affect the fish. But of course I took it out anyway.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:34 PM   #157
Aquarium Advice FINatic

WOW! I'm still waiting for my check from Marineland, but from what it sounds like- they are not paying folks anything near what most people paid for them.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:41 AM   #158
Aquarium Advice Addict

They gave me back more than I paid actually, since I bought them on sale, but I got retail price back.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:58 PM   #159
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

About 3 weeks ago I read thus recall posting, called marineland and they said they would either refund or replace. I wanted a replacement, so they asked me if a visatherm replacement would work for me and I told them that would be fine. They said they would ship it to me along with a pickup order on my stealth. Very nice person and easy procedure. Two weeks later hadn't seen anything so called them back. They apologized said my heater got back ordered and was due to ship in two days. 3 days later got nrlew heater but no pickup slip for mine.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:20 PM   #160
Aquarium Advice FINatic

When I called, I wasn't given a choice, nor was I told how much the refund would be. When FedEx dropped the ball, Marineland rep said to just mail the heater and include a copy of the receipt and they would add that amount to the refund.

Still no check (been a week since I called and they said it was "in the mail". The amount I was told in would be for was less than the cost of it originally (not even mentioning postage to ship the old one).

Tags
alert, eat, eater, heater, led, marineland, stealth, stealth pro

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com