Marineland Heater Alert- Stealth and Stealth Pro's Recalled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We should always have a spare. Just in case something should happen. I know that does not help you thou. Good luck.

I took my 3 stealth pro heaters to Petco last night. They gave me store credit for them no problem at all.

eyring2210 said:
I took my 3 stealth pro heaters to Petco last night. They gave me store credit for them no problem at all.

I just called ML and indeed they are recalling them. I was told to remove it immediately.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium

Yikes! I just got a new Stealth Pro like last week. I did just call the Marineland Customer Relations and talked to a rep. He said that it is not a recall but a Stop Sale. Meaning its a quality review. He said that it could be nothing or escalate into a recall. Why are they telling different people different things? He asked me if I'm experiencing any malfunction and as of this morning its working fine. I'm still taking it back to Petco when I get home. I dont want to risk it exploding or anything like that. So to return it to petco, I just need the heater and the suction cups right? I already threw the box away.

Edit:
Just called Petco and since I used my PALS card, no need for the receipt. Just need to bring it in for some store credit..

Yikes! I just got a new Stealth Pro like last week. I did just call the Marineland Customer Relations and talked to a rep. He said that it is not a recall but a Stop Sale. Meaning its a quality review. He said that it could be nothing or escalate into a recall. Why are they telling different people different things? He asked me if I'm experiencing any malfunction and as of this morning its working fine. I'm still taking it back to Petco when I get home. I dont want to risk it exploding or anything like that. So to return it to petco, I just need the heater and the suction cups right? I already threw the box away.

Edit:
Just called Petco and since I used my PALS card, no need for the receipt. Just need to bring it in for some store credit..

Yes they are required to take them back with or without a reciept. ML is refunding the store their money as well. If there is an issue you can have ML send you a heater. They dont require you to send urs back before hand as others have stated. They tell people it is a stop sell which by company lingo, they wouldnt do so unless serious issue have been found. My fish are worth more than a new heater to me so I'd rather get a new heater than wait to see if this one kills mine.

Glad I'm apart of these forums, never would have found out! Just got off the phone with Petco because that's where I bought mine, for my 75g tank that's currently cycling for cichlids. They told me I could bring it in and exchange it for a different "safer" brand. I'm fine with that. About to take it out and run down to there real quick.

dlwn88 said:
Glad I'm apart of these forums, never would have found out! Just got off the phone with Petco because that's where I bought mine, for my 75g tank that's currently cycling for cichlids. They told me I could bring it in and exchange it for a different "safer" brand. I'm fine with that. About to take it out and run down to there real quick.

Petsmart gave me a temporary heater. ML Is shipping me another model. Visi-Therm® Submersible Heaters.

Petco hooked me up! Replaced my two heaters, replaced my 250 for a 300 for my 75g, really nice of them. Even gave me a gift card on top of it.

Just got a post card Dr F&S and i called they are replacing 100w to 300w stealth pro's and they are sending me a Marineland Visi Therm 300w, but of course the heater is on back order till Monday

Sonomakid said:
Just got a post card Dr F&S and i called they are replacing 100w to 300w stealth pro's and they are sending me a Marineland Visi Therm 300w, but of course the heater is on back order till Monday

Congrats. I'm waiting on mine from ML.

Just got an email from Big Al's about this. Quick question though (since I see a lot of different information).

It appears I can return these to Petsmart even though I didn't buy my 2 heaters from them (one was from them the other was from Big Al's online). Is there a limitation on the TYPE of heater specifically? I have 2 Visitherm Stealth heaters. One is a 50w (this was not on the email but I"d like to get rid of it if the brand is having quality issues), and the other I believe is a 100w (but could be different as it's at home and I'm at work right now).

These are the black Visitherm Stealth heaters that only have a red dial (there is no light on them).

Basically I want to make sure if I remove these from my tank that I can quickly replace them to prevent temp swings. Sounds like people like the Ebo Jager fully submersible heaters. Does Petsmart sell them? There website only lists the partially submersible one.

Thanks

7Enigma said:
Just got an email from Big Al's about this. Quick question though (since I see a lot of different information).

It appears I can return these to Petsmart even though I didn't buy my 2 heaters from them (one was from them the other was from Big Al's online). Is there a limitation on the TYPE of heater specifically? I have 2 Visitherm Stealth heaters. One is a 50w (this was not on the email but I"d like to get rid of it if the brand is having quality issues), and the other I believe is a 100w (but could be different as it's at home and I'm at work right now).

These are the black Visitherm Stealth heaters that only have a red dial (there is no light on them).

Basically I want to make sure if I remove these from my tank that I can quickly replace them to prevent temp swings. Sounds like people like the Ebo Jager fully submersible heaters. Does Petsmart sell them? There website only lists the partially submersible one.

Thanks

Only the 100 & above stealth pro are being replaced. Just a FYI.

These are the black Visitherm Stealth heaters that only have a red dial (there is no light on them)....

Those are NOT the ones being pulled from sale. The ones with the red dial and NO light are the "first generation", and in my opinion, are pretty rock solid.

It's the "second generation" or the Stealth Pro that are being pulled - those are the ones that have the light in the heater control knob that either glows red or green depending on if the heater is heating or not.

Those are NOT the ones being pulled from sale. The ones with the red dial and NO light are the "first generation", and in my opinion, are pretty rock solid.

It's the "second generation" or the Stealth Pro that are being pulled - those are the ones that have the light in the heater control knob that either glows red or green depending on if the heater is heating or not.

Hmm, I wonder why I'd get the recall notice then? I'm assuming Big Al's Online knew what heater I purchased.... I'll double check when I get home but I'm almost 100% positive there is no light on the heater (can't imagine I've missed it all this time).

In case the light is burned out, or you can't see it (it's not very bright), the heater control knob on the Stealth PROs are clear. The heater control knob on the regular Stealth's is solid red.

I had a 250w Stealth Pro shatter in my overflow last year and Marineland quicly replaced the heater along with a full refund of the purchase price.

Today I called Foster/Smith which I purchased 6 Stealths last year and they are overnighting 6 replacement Eheim/Jager 250W heaters.

Back
Top Bottom