Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-14-2011, 09:12 AM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a 250, and I have noticed temp fluctuations and the knob sticks.

I rally don't want to go back to pets mart, You know I'll spend more money.

Thanks for the update.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:05 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffz View Post
...I see folks recommend the Eheim -Jager heaters. What model is the fully submersible one? I see folks using the term EBO, I also see they have a new "TS" version. I also see at another local place fish store on the Jager heaters a "sticker" placed on outside of boxes "fully submersible" UL approved" ---the sticker seems like they updated old stock with an updated sticker.
Is "EBO" just a part of the company name? Eheim Ebo-Jager heaters? Is "TS" the model I want?
Thanks
I'm one who is definitely recommending the Ebo Jager TS heaters. I've had two in my tank now for nearly a year and am really happy with them. The confusing name brand of the heaters is due to the company's history. They were originally Jager, then became Ebo-Jager after a buyout, then became Eheim Ebo-Jager after Eheim bought them out.

The "TS" model is the newest fully submersible, UL approved model. The story I'd heard about the earlier models that were not advertised as submersible was that while they were actually designed to be submersible and plenty of people used them that way, they did NOT have UL approval as a "submersible heater". From my understanding, Ebo-Jager just never went through the hoops and submitted it for UL approval.

It's possible that by now they've submitted it to UL for approval (and paid the fees!), and received approval to label it as "submersible"... hence the stickers. Just an educated guess on my part though... nothing for sure.

Regarding the validity of the Marineland recall... I see there's a copy of a Marineland memo to distributors over on ReefBuilders that confirms the previous info about a recall. And on United Pet Group/Marineland's website, when you click on the "heaters" section, you won't find any mention of the Stealths... all you see are the Visi-Therms. However, there is absolutely no mention of a recall - which by the memo on RB says is "voluntary". Voluntary recalls won't be listed on any governmental/FTC website because they haven't been mandated.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:14 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks Kurt, I think I might go with the Eheim's too. I have 5 heaters to take back to PetSmart Issaquah here in a bit. Hope I don't have to have the packaging, since I threw it all away when I moved! I should just stay a hoarder I guess, and stop listening to the hubs. LOL

EDIT: Are the Visi-Therms being recalled too?!?! Lawd, I have to take ALL my heaters back!
Old 02-14-2011, 03:22 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Luna112
I called Marieland this morning and they said that they are not pulling a recap in the heaters. That only petsmart was. They told me that they did indeed pulled them all off the shelf due to an inspection that they were running on the product. The lady also told me that if I have any concerns due to petsmarts recall I could send in my old heater for a new one or a refund. I'm just going to go wig the refund. Because my marineland heater right now fluctuates too much. It's causing my fish to stress out. What heater so you guys recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium
Old 02-14-2011, 04:15 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, I just talked to a girl from PetSmart on the phone, and she seemed to think they were only taking the heaters with the red/green indicator light...I only have one of those, and it crapped out a long time ago.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:44 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah... from what I've read, it's the "Stealth PRO" heaters. Those are the ones with the red/green light built in to the thermostat knob. The plain black ones - with no indicator lights at all - are the original "Stealth" heaters, and not the "Stealth PRO". The original ones... the ones with no indicator lights, are good stuff, in my opinion.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:58 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just looked on their website, and they don't even have the Stealth Pro's listed, only the Visi-Therms. o.O
I have had one with just the red dial poop out on me, but the indicator light one went out about 3 weeks after they sent it to me as a replacement for the Visi-Therm that overheated. I didn't call them because I thought they would think I was scamming them with all the heater problems!
Old 02-14-2011, 05:11 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Petco

I just got off the phone with Petco and they are also accepting returns of the Marineland Stealth Pro heaters. No original package/receipt is needed for the return and they will issue a store credit.

So... I will definitely be stopping by there after work. While I'm there, I may just need to pick up a few additional items. Heh.

I was looking at getting the Aqueon Pro Heater to replace this heater which is full of fail. It appears to be fairly similar to the Stealth Pro models as I believe it has the indicator light too. I'm also going to pick up a digital thermometer so I can keep better tabs on temp fluctuations in the future.

If you have these heaters, you might want to be on the safe side and exchange them.
McLumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:43 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict

Pick up this heater.
True Temp 800W Heater W/ Controller by JBJ
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_1177wt_1138

I also found this on ebay. I hope it will heat the tank. I'm thinking it will @ 800 watt.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:27 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Just dropped my heater at petsmart. Got a new heater and some cash. They knew all about it.

Tags
alert, eat, eater, heater, led, marineland, stealth, stealth pro

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com