Marineland Heater Alert- Stealth and Stealth Pro's Recalled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have the big one for the Marineland 55G LED starter kit, i believe its a 300 watt are they accepting those back at PetSmart?

dkpate said:
Maybe if you printed out the recall from the gov't and took it to PetSmart?

The official recall notice simply says to contact Marineland.

I had a 250w stealth and they would eather replace it or give me a refund. The refund would've been only $15. Ridiculous IMO. So I opted for a replacement

So is this the one? I can't remember exactly what I have...I don't feel like removing it since it's surrounded by plants.

img_1335067_0_a2d091d9c0294a8340c3826386f59abf.jpg

OK folks... it's not just the Stealth Pro heaters anymore. Read here:

Marineland Update

So for those that don't like to click links and actually read, they're recalling not only the Stealth Pro, but the old Stealth's also... the ones with just the red knob and no LED. The old Stealth models under recall start with "ETP" and include all sizes from 25W and higher.

I checked the old-style Stealth in my water storage tub, and it's an "ETP" model, and it's probably at least 3 years old.

So I take back all I said about the old Stealths not being recalled. Get rid of 'em.

Ah, I guess it is then! YIKES! Is it a hassle to go through the process? Since it's only for a 10g I may just buy a new one on my own.

Basically the recall is for almost all of there heaters made since '07 or '09 can't remember.

Incorrect.

The Visitherm heaters - which are the glass ones - are NOT effected by the recall. While they might not be the most accurate (but then, what heater is?!), they're at least safe and have been around for ages.

Everyone knows you are not supposed to take them out of water before unplugging them.

yes i agree we know but what if your new to the hobby and bought a used tank and heater and stuff how would you know then i just put that post there because i was reading it the night before this thread was here

Incorrect.

The Visitherm heaters - which are the glass ones - are NOT effected by the recall. While they might not be the most accurate (but then, what heater is?!), they're at least safe and have been around for ages.

I thought that the solid black ones with the red knob were the Visitherms...hmm.

Those are visitherm stealths... the composite material. The regular visitherms are glass.

Yes... sorry - me saying "Visitherms" didn't really clear that up, did it?!

Originally, there were just the Visitherms. They were glass. These have been around for years and years. Then there were Visitherm Stealths. Those were the non-glass, solid black ones. Then came the Visitherm Stealth Pros, which were the non-glass, solid black ones with the LED indicator light on the temperature knob.

I just brought my stealth pro back to the lfs I got it from, glad I did now too, because they said I only had till the 26th to do it. Got a full refund but immediatily used it for a new Fluval 200 watt heater!

dkpate said:
Ok, so sounds like I can take them to the store for a refund?

No-one around here is taking them back. PetCo and Petsmart both have signs up saying to contact Marineland.

I called Marineland yesterday (maybe my petsmart would have taken it, didn't try) and they asked which version I have (pro) and the wattage (can't remember exactly but it was a smaller one) and asked whether I wanted a refund or replacement. Since I already purchased a replacement (not a marine land lol) to get the defective one out of my tank, I said I wanted a refund. The rep said ok, told me how much I would get, asked for my name, address, email and said they would email me a shipping label in a couple of days.

XxVooDooxX said:
I had a 250w stealth and they would eather replace it or give me a refund. The refund would've been only $15. Ridiculous IMO. So I opted for a replacement

Really? They told me I'm getting $22.90 for mine. Forget what size watts though but it was a smaller size but a pro version.

Apparently, they treat folks in different states differently- I was never even offered a replacement. They dispatched FedEx to pick up my heater, but FedEx stinks around here and never made the pick-up. Was told then to just mail the heater and enclose receipt for shipping and would get a check that added shipping cost. No clue how much thy are reimbursing.

I have the 100 watt and I'll be keeping it. It's in my QT and has been going strong for months. My glass fluval heater blew up on me when it got 1/4" under submerged for about 5 minutes O_O

Back
Top Bottom