Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-09-2011, 10:25 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Marineland LED's over "open" water

I just recently got the Marineland Single Bright LED's for dirt cheap, but I notice that it isn't recommended over open water. The LED's are going over my 36g bowfront and I don't want to spend more money to buy a new glass cover over the tank.

Has anyone have any kind of experience leaving them over open water?

Henry405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
I don't have any LED fixtures but all my different T5HO say the same thing, which of course I don't follow since the majority of my tanks are topless and I've never had a problem even with direct splashes.

Those Who Lack The Courage Will Always Find A Philosophy To Justify It.
Please Support The Cares Preservation Program <---Click Here For Information.
HUKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:49 PM   #3
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion
Same here... no LED's, but 7 T5HO fixtures over tanks with no top on them... a splash occasionally, but never any problems. They put that for liability reasons. You can't sue them if it falls in because they specifically warn not to. It's just like the 'caution: hot' message on mcdonalds coffee

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
With t5hos and metal halides and the such, a splash of water can explode the bulb because of the dramatic difference in temperatures. I don't think this can happen with LEDs.
slitherbomb is offline   Reply With Quote

led, marineland

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com