Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-24-2014, 06:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Marineland Penguin 150 Question

Im using a Penguin 150 in my freshwater tank. It has 2 slots for the filter pads, but only came with one. I put the second one in thinking all it could do was help, but I noticed the bio wheel moves a lot slower with the second pad in. Any suggestions if I should leave the second filter in or take it out? I added it the day after i started cycling my tank and its been 3 weeks so its been cycling with it in.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I actually run with ine pad cut to nothing but the plastic with filter foam behind the plastic and filter floss behind the foam.

That being said, remove the second pad as it is slowing your flow considerably.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Won't having the second filter in it allow more bacteria to grow since it will have more surface area? The bio wheel still moves, its just not a continuous movement. It pauses for a half a second every turn.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

It will harbor more bacteria but the biowheel supposedly houses more so you want to make sure it does not stop which it will and just after you've gone to bed so all that good bacteria die. I would wait a few weeks until the carbon is no longer viable then cut the filter from the plastic and get some thick filter media from the pet store to put up against the plastic. Then, go to wal-mart and buy pillow batting (very inexpensive) and get the stuff that's not fire retardant because it will harm the tank. Then, simply rinse the batting (filter floss) in used tank water during a water change to remove the gunk and you're fine. No more expensive filters to buy and you'll have more room for beneficial bacteria.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:46 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Okay thanks!
Old 02-25-2014, 10:52 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

The second space is not for a convential filter pad. This space is for a second cartidge that you would fill yourself with various biologic or chemical media. You can find the part number in the pdf manual online
Old 02-26-2014, 08:27 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

The biowheel is trash, read this: Do Bio Wheels really work? Bio-Wheel Review . I tossed mine...I have floss and a polishing pad in one slot, and have Purigen in the second slot, in a mesh bag. Been running this way for years and have not had a single problem.

Tags
marine, marineland, penguin, question

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com