Marineland Penguin Bio-wheel Power Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nortzy21

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,

I recently purchased a Marineland Penguin Bio-wheel 200B power filter from pet mountain. I am excited to get it in the mail so I just want opinions from people who own this filter. If not, tell me what you think about my decision to get this filter. It's just for my 20 gallon FW quarantine tank. I'm hoping it well be a good fit for the quarantine.

Thanks,
Sam

I have this exact filter in my 30g. Works fine keeps the water crystal clear. Don't even use the biowheel anymore, no issues. You should be happy with it.

Its pretty quiet also.

I have this exact filter in my 30g. Works fine keeps the water crystal clear. Don't even use the biowheel anymore, no issues. You should be happy with it.

Its pretty quiet also.

Ok thanks. Is it true that there is a separate compartment in the filter to put your own media? I read that on the filter's description. Also, were you having problems with the biowheel or was it just unnecessary?

there are 2 slots in the filter housing. The slot that is closest to the wall is for the included filter pad. The 2nd slot which is between the pad and the biowheel is for the media cartridge which is not included. You can easily find the part online and put whatever desired media you want in it.

there are 2 slots in the filter housing. The slot that is closest to the wall is for the included filter pad. The 2nd slot which is between the pad and the biowheel is for the media cartridge which is not included. You can easily find the part online and put whatever desired media you want in it.

Thank you. Sounds good

I have the 150. I am curious too on your thoughts about the biowheel.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The biowheel is supposed to grow your beneficial bacteria, and it spins in the water outflow. Mine spun until I guess it got saturated and then it never spun again. I left it in there for a few years but eventually took it out and didn't see any difference.

I also have a 300 (or 400) in a 75g, same brand and type but with bigger intake and double filters/wheels. Those wheels never spin either.

I have the Marineland 350 pro canister with dual bio wheels. My wheels spin fine. An issue I had was upon setup I discovered that both spray bars had a crack at the ends where the handle is to adjust them. I just put some epoxy putty in the cracks and haven't had problems since. I wanted to raise hell with Marineland but didn't have time and needed that filter.

The biowheel is supposed to grow your beneficial bacteria, and it spins in the water outflow. Mine spun until I guess it got saturated and then it never spun again. I left it in there for a few years but eventually took it out and didn't see any difference.

I also have a 300 (or 400) in a 75g, same brand and type but with bigger intake and double filters/wheels. Those wheels never spin either.

Does the bottom of the intake on the Penguin 200 have to be far beneath the water level? I have a tetra whisper 60 and the intake is way to close to the surface and the pump doesn't run too smoothly so I ordered more intake tube extensions.

I've owned many of them and never had a complaint
only thing to be aware of the propellers wear out over time so keep 1 or 2 on hand wore out propellers get loud

My 30gal is 19in tall-ish and it sits pretty close to the bottom. You shouldn't need extensions. It comes with an extension tube with a flow adjustment on it. I will snap a pic.

Kind of hard to see but the intake goes down to about 1-2 inches off the substrate.

Attachments

• 1395789402367.jpg
    1395789402367.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 88
Yeah, I've had mine a month and that darn propeller is ALREADY being a PIA. It filters great but the thing sure is picky.

Yeah, I've had mine a month and that darn propeller is ALREADY being a PIA. It filters great but the thing sure is picky. Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app
when you do water changes and it drains.. You start it back up, makes noise?? Just pour water into the box until it catches up ..

Yeah I figured that out day one. Its that propeller. I will admit to finding bit of sand in the box a week ago. Just rinsed it out well and it was all good. I have to remove the propeller completely, make sure it is pushed all the way down clear of the plastic housing and it turns fine. Good to know I can order that one part if needed though :)

Ooooooo pretty. I LOVE opening my new toys. Especially if I have had to wait forever for shipping, even a couple days feels like forever though :D

Back
Top Bottom