Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-11-2019, 02:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Matching aquarium to stand?

Hello All,

I am thinking about getting back to the 'hobby'. I have always wanted a 55 gallon setup. As I look around at what to buy I notice that available stands (I'm thinking metal) that I can find don't necessarily match the dimensions of a typical 55 gal aquarium. For example: I was looking at 1 particular stand, advertised for a 55 gal aquarium that measures (14.5 x 49.5 x 27.9 inches) and when I search actual aquariums I see sizes that are all between 50.5 and 51.9 inches in width and some with a depth of 15 inches.

So if I purchased the stand I would have an aquarium that hangs over the edges..... That seems like a recipe for disaster or am I missing something.

I've looked at several stands and I can't seem to find a match between the tank footprint and the stands.

I know the big-box pet stores sell aquariums with matching stand but I really don't want to go with one of those composite/pressboard stands and have to deal with the inevitable swelling from getting water on it.....

In the past I had small aquariums and don't remember this being an issue...or at least not a concern.....

I know people build their own stands but I have doubts about my carpenter skills and the ability to get a perimeter that is flush fit at all 4 corners. My past attempts to align pieces of wood always seem to end up misaligned once I tighten the screws......and I end up with one piece higher than the other.....so for that reason I'm hesitant to start another carpentry project....

Any thoughts on how to find a stand that matches the tank footprint or am I obsessing over something that isn't a reason for concern?

Better yet....can anyone recommend functional stand for a 55 gal? Yeah, I know....it depends on which aquarium manufacturer I go with....so maybe I should ask for a recommendation on stand AND aquarium.....

Old 04-11-2019, 08:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

You could ask the big box store if you could buy just the stand, I know the ones by me have a separate price one the aquarium and the stand if you don't want both.

Old 04-11-2019, 10:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks for the response SaraB......

The big box store near me only has the cheap wood (particle board) stands..... A few drops of water and they bloat up and start to fall apart.... Those could work for a smaller aquarium with less weight and less fuss to replace..... I was hoping to find a metal one that I could have shipped to me.....
Old 04-11-2019, 11:03 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

You might check this

I am pretty sure their tanks are 48" - I think dollar per gallon tank sale is still going on. But the 55G is about half price maybe $75 not sure. You could call and ask for the dimensions, they are on the label tag.

Stand seem a good value. But also the older ones are sometimes found at thrift stores yard sales, Habitat for Humanity ReStores, FB market place and craigslist. I have found them for free and like 10 to $25. Tanks often long gone or broken.

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcos...and-55-gallons

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcos...lons?rrec=true

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -5G Spec V Snails & Betta
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 11:54 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks for the reply and links Autumnsky...

I had already checked out that first one and there were several comments about problems getting the front(horizontal) top to fit flush with the sides...so I was a little leary of that one..

I had also seen the second one on a couple of sites but they were out of stock.... When I did a search for it on Petco it didn't come up for me....thanks to your link I have it cornered now!

Now I just need to match it to a tank.....Looks like the Aqueon that Petco carries would match nicely....

As to your link for catching up after being out of the hobby for a while I appreciate that too..... I think it's time to do some homework now that I've got a line on tank and stand....

Thanks again.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
You might check this

I am pretty sure their tanks are 48" - I think dollar per gallon tank sale is still going on. But the 55G is about half price maybe $75 not sure. You could call and ask for the dimensions, they are on the label tag.

Stand seem a good value. But also the older ones are sometimes found at thrift stores yard sales, Habitat for Humanity ReStores, FB market place and craigslist. I have found them for free and like 10 to $25. Tanks often long gone or broken.

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcos...and-55-gallons

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcos...lons?rrec=true
Old 04-12-2019, 12:20 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Tonight is a special value because of national pet day or something and save 15% and get free shipping over 75$ order.

Good luck on your hunt!

or Petco has an order online pick up in store save 10%

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -5G Spec V Snails & Betta
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 09:43 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

For what itís worth, Iíve had a particle board stand for my 29g for over 10 years without any problems at all. If water gets on it just wipe it off. No swelling either. Iím confident itíll go another 10 years.

Tags
aquarium, chi, stand, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com