Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-14-2012, 08:10 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Maturing New Filter

Currently have a 10 gallon tank that has been set up for over a year with a filter adequate for the tank. I am upgrading to a 55 gallon tank and have bought a new filter suitable for a 55g tank. The new filter is a canister and I intend to run it alongside my existing filter in the 10g tank. I assume that this will allow the new filter to mature with the beneficial bacteria colonising the new filter.

Please can anyone comment as to whether this is a sensible thing to do. Have other forum users tried this? I'd love to hear of your experiences.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:08 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes, I have run new filters on existing tanks to get them seeded with Beneficial Bacteria, works but you'll need to test your new tank, daily once you make the switch into to make sure it progresses. I'm assuming you are doing a Fish-In cycle once you seed the new filter?

60 gallon(Parrots and Convicts) 55 gallon African Cichlids 5 gallon Betta tank 35 Gallon Hex (Bolivian Rams, Oto cats, Bloodfin Tetra and a shoal of Tiger Barbs) 75 Gallon Oscar Condo. 30 gallon GBRs & Danios
Pton46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:44 AM   #3

Yes, I will be moving the existing fish over to new tank. Then dual run both filters for a few weeks, then take out old old filter once the water stabilises. Main worry is possible over filtration of old tank.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:49 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I did the same thing with my fx5 but what happened to me was using that much bigger filter sent my tank into a cycle!!! Idk why so just keep and eye on your water.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:19 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've upgraded many times switching the existing stock in one tank to a new tank.

The easiest method is to just get the new tank set up with your substrate, decor, plants, and the canister filter. Get it running, then hang the 10 gallon filter on the back of the new tank. Move all your fish over. Voila. Instant cycle most likely.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:41 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Why not keep the old filter running instead of removing it? That way if you one filter quits, you have a back up, or if you need a hospital tank or isolation tank, it's already cycled? Or are you planning on setting up the 10 gallon again? I myself run 3 filters on my 29 lol.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:10 AM   #7

Thanks guys. I'll move both filters to new tank as well for a month or so. Currently running both in the small tank. Lots of current in the water! Fish seem ok though.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:47 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Why not just move all the fish to the larger tank with both filters? It doesn't make sense to me to do what you're doing when the fish could be given much more room.

75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter, new filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com