Maxi Jet vs Hydor Powerheads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Hydors are great, they have a wide flow and it makes for great currents. I had 2 maxijet 1200's running in my tank and they just kinda blew a straight stream of water really hard (think underwater hose gun). I switched them out for two Koralia 3's and haven't looked back. The fish seem to like them alot better too. Maxijets do have thier uses though. I put one of them on a wavetimer to shoot behind my rocks every 2-3 minutes to get rid of the dead spots.

Awesome!! I have 2 of these Maxi Jet 160gph Pumps, 1 on each end.. So would it be a good idea to buy one of the Hydor Powerheads for the one end thats not getting flow?? The other end has the 2 outlets for the filtration, and maybe just put 1 or both of the Maxi Jets behind my rocks?? Would 1 be sufficient or 1 for each end?? Thanks for the info

Using the maxi's to flow behind the rocks will be great and with the Hydor providing flow for the rest of the tank that should be fine.

I have 2 modded (Sureflow) Maxi1200's with the 2100 GPH prop and 2 Koralia 4's in my 125. With the mod the Maxi's put out a wider flow than stocl, but it's much stronger. The Koralias are strong with a wide flow. Add the magnet kit to the sureflow and it must cost more than a new Koralia, so for brand new I would go with the Koralia.
I'm thinking of getting the new models that can be used with a wavemaker.

Back
Top Bottom