Measuring pH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jennandjuicetm

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm trying to figure out what my pH is. So far I've used strips, the API liquid test kit, the Seachem pH alert thing that stays in the tank (x3), and a electronic meter. This is what they read:
Strips: 6.8
API liquid: regular pH turns aqua indicating 7.2ish, high range turns yellow (not on the chart
Seachem alert 1: 8.2
Seachem alert 2: 8.2
Seachem alert 3 (a new and improved version sent to me directly from Seachem and arrived today): 7.2
electronic meter: 6.5

My bettas' fins are curling, I was assuming from high pH so I want to fix my pH asap! Halp! :banghead:

Attachments

• V__3B14.jpg
    V__3B14.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 62
Your Fish

Hello jenn...

Trying to change the pH and then maintaining that change is going to be difficult at best. The vast majority of aquarium fish will adapt to the vast majority of public water supplies. You don't need to worry about the chemistry of the tap water, it's not a requirement for keeping a healthy tank.

The best thing you can do for your fish is feed it a varied diet and change its water regularly to remove dissolved wastes.

B

Whats the best method to test it in general? I'd like to at least know if thats whats causing the curled fins because if it isn't the ph maybe it is something fixable.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Whats the best method to test it in general? I'd like to at least know if thats whats causing the curled fins because if it isn't the ph maybe it is something fixable.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The API liquid test is pretty reliable. Strips ok'ish. The digital pen I use is only calibrated to a ph7 solution but I find it is accurate as long as the sensor is soaked for a bit. If the pen is reading funny I check with API liquid test as sometimes I find the pen reads high if it hasn't been used for a few weeks.

The API liquid test is pretty reliable. Strips ok'ish. The digital pen I use is only calibrated to a ph7 solution but I find it is accurate as long as the sensor is soaked for a bit. If the pen is reading funny I check with API liquid test as sometimes I find the pen reads high if it hasn't been used for a few weeks.

When I store my pen I place a cotton ball soaked in distiller water in the cap.

Lately once a week, I have three aquariums I check after a water change. I hate to admit that it did sit all winter without being used.

I do tend to ignore it, then use it like mad, then it goes back to sitting in the cupboard again.

Edit - I love though that I'm not trying to read a colour chart :)

Back
Top Bottom