Mechanical filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MiamiCuse

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29 gallon and two 10 gallon tanks currently and all using UGF. I know, I know UGF is no good but it came with the tank and that's what I have been using and dealing with all along.

I have gravel above them and I can see the yucky junk collected in the gravel, and whenever I adjust the air stone in the tubes for the UGF sometimes junk came flying out of the tubes from below the UGF and messes up the entire tank.

I would like to switch to sand, it will be a nicer tank and I would be able to plant something that don't do well in gravel.

However, I don't like the filters that "hangs" in the back of the tank, they are clunky and they are ugly. So I am thinking of getting a canister filter that would serve all three tanks. It's only a total of 49 gallons.

Yesterday I was at a LFS and they had an item on clearance. A RAINBOW LIFEGARD MECHANICAL FILTER for $20.00. If it's mechanical, can I still put some filter media in there to do biological filtering as well?

If this is not ideal, what other canister filter should I consider?

Thanks!

hi,
i think your best bet is to buy a cheap but durable external canister filter like the fluval 305 model, which is rated 70 gallon.(you always want a filter that can do a bit more) .then you add really good mechanical/biological medias likes eheim medias.
this way you save money and you can enjoy crystal clear water and little or no aglae growth.
hope this helps.

PS. if you are planning to plant more than couple of plants then please get rid of the "UGF". if not, then good luck having "LIVE" plants.lol.
take care.

Back
Top Bottom