Media for Aqua Clear 70

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jowag1541

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have an Aqua Clear 70 that I'm using on my fresh water 55 gallon tank. I've been reading where you don't really need the charcoal unless you're medicating. Right now I'm using the sponge, the biomax and one unit of the chemi pure elite. This is only for up to 40 gallons but if I put two bags in, it seems to be a bit too much. I was wondering if anyone uses the Aqua Clear 70 and what types of media you use. Oh, I also started using a layer of the aquarium floss in-between the biomax and the chemi pure too. Thanks for any input and ideas on what to use. My water is still cycling. It seems endless and the water seems to cloud up a lot. I don't know if this is also normal with the cycling process. It is about 4 or 5 weeks now.

You are on the right track. The AquaClear will not give you crystal clear, polished water "out of the box" because the sponge is not "graduated" and does not get out fine micron particles. To get crystal clear water, most people use tightly packed floss (Sera Wool is the best), usually in lieu of carbon. Seachem Purigen is generally considered the best chemical media. You probably have room for both Purigen & Chemi-Pure.

Also, Be aware of the bypass issues on the AquaClears:

AquaClear Bypass Issues

[I had to duct tape the holes on my AC50 get it to work properly.]

Thank you for the help on the media. I wasn't sure how much you could actually put into the aqua clear 70 media basket without overdoing it causing it to interfere with good filtering for your tank. Also thank you for the heads up on the bypass issue. I haven't heard anything about that so I surely will check into that.

Back
Top Bottom