Media For My Canister Filter. In What Order?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lovci

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got purigen, ceramic rings, and matrix.

Any help/advice on media or CF related info would be great.

Sorry, just one more question. Is you starting this tank from scratch, ie no other established media with BB??
No, I had two other cheap filters that were not doing the trick. I switched to this.

No, I had two other cheap filters that were not doing the trick. I switched to this.
Ok. Your filter is a generic copy of my filter. This is how I have it set up. Starting from the bottom tray up.

Bottom Tray; Original sponges, course on the bottom, medium on top of that.

Next Tray Up; FULL tray of Matrix. I use the Matrix(bio-media), small white stones.

Next Tray Up; Another full tray of Matrix.

Final Tray. A full tray of 100% polyfil(filter floss). I use two bags of 100ml/g of Purigen....

With the Matrix, there is two types available. Matrix Carbon and Matrix Bio-Media. I use the Bio-Media type. It is overkill with two trays of Matrix but will do no harm. You could use this tray so rings or bio ball if you wish. I have NEVER used Carbon in my tanks, have never needed to but it is only really needed for odour and med removal. If it is used to keep water clear, it can be quite expensive. The Purigen and floss will do a better job at keeping the tank clear.
Again using 2 bags of Purigen is a bit of overkill but it increases the time between having to recharge it. It's just as easy to recharge 2 bags as it is one.
The floss can be bought at any craft/hobby store, a big bag for a few dollars. Just make sure it's 100% polyfil, no additives ie fire retardants.
With this set up I can almost guarantee you crystal clear water!!!

Back
Top Bottom