Media question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stacey W.

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a Aqueon 55/75 on my 55 gallon column style tank. I cannot afford a better filter right now. Any suggestions on biomedia and how to install it into my pump. I've read soo many things online and everyone says something different. I want to upgrade the filtration.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't own one but looking at pictures of them it doesn't appear that there's much room in there for anything. It looks like the mechanical filter cartridges have carbon in them, maybe you could cut the top open, dump out the carbon and drop some ceramic rings in there if there's room. That's what I did with a whisper.
Maybe the Aqueons provide good biological filtration with their grid system.

Today I bought some micro filters made for API canister filters. Then cut them down to fit into the trays provided. I also placed a fluval clearmax pouch inside the canister. Next I am going to purchase some bio rings to place in canister. I'm a newbie to mods but I'm trying.

Maybe you could put a sponge over the intake strainer so your media doesn't get too dirty, just cut a nice slit in the sponge filter and slide it up over the strainer pipe. i did this with a powerhead and it made a nice diy mechanical filter.

I know that fluval makes the pre filters to fit the intake tube but need to order online because they are not available at my lfs.

I know that fluval makes the pre filters to fit the intake tube but need to order online because they are not available at my lfs.

Petco carries them.

One thing I've done to incorporate ceramic ring media into cartridge based HOB filters is to string then together with fishing line. Perhaps a foot in length to start with. Leave a bit of slack between the rings to allow some wiggle room. Then drop it into any open space next to the cartridges. As you drop them in, use a weaving side to side pattern so that you use up as much available space in the housing. When it's time to do maintenance, simply lift the string of rings out of the filter housing.
I learned the hard way that dropping the individual media rings in the filter is a pain to deal with later. Thus, the fishing line.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That's a super cool idea! But I believe if I purchase some nylon bags I have enough room to fit them behind the cartridge trays.

That's a super cool idea! But I believe if I purchase some nylon bags I have enough room to fit them behind the cartridge trays.

That should work if the media bag does not flex. The stretchy kind will lose shape and the all of the media will sag to the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That should work if the media bag does not flex. The stretchy kind will lose shape and the all of the media will sag to the bottom.

The fishing line idea sounds amazing, especially if you have a good prefilter. It's questionable about how much water flows through those nylon bags, I'd imagine most of the strong flow goes around them especially when debris starts to clog the mesh.

Back
Top Bottom