Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-20-2007, 03:23 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

There could be a couple of things wrong with it...it could be sucking air which will cause it to be loud or it could just be vibrating against the sump. Mag drives don't have rubber suction cups on them and that could be the cause of the noise...I have a mag 7 as I said plumbed inline for my closed loop and it is virtually silent... I don't know that egg crate is going to solve your problem if it is vibrating against the sump....if you have some clear vinly hose that you could put under the pump to seperate it from the sump that may help....

Old 04-20-2007, 10:52 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Hey Ziggy,

What are the benefits of the closed loop vs. the open loop? Also, how did you mount it for that setup?

Old 04-20-2007, 11:32 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'll jump quick jump into this.

Quick explanation of a closed and open loop is:

Open Loop is like your overflow and return pump. In otherwords there is a gap or "open" space between the where you take the water out of the tank and put the water back in.

Closed loop is where you have the PVC pipe attached to the input and output of the pump and there is no gaps in where you take the water out of the tank and put the water back in.

Typically the pump on the closed loop is put on the floor or a shelve and the pipes are run there.

-----

As for the Mag7 noise I siliconed an old PH back to mine and put suction cups on it. Like was mentioned above you can rubberband airline tubing on the bottom of it or many places sell rubber pads you can set it on.

-Dave
Old 04-20-2007, 12:15 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

To add to what mulron stated, here is a link to a good example of a closed loop system on a 29g: Melev's 29g Closed Loop.

I think the image on that page clearly depicts how the water leaves the tank and returns without the "gap" that an open loop system would have. HTH
Old 04-20-2007, 03:28 PM   #15
JM
Aquarium Advice Freak

My Mag 18 is sitting right in the bottom of my sump. I did get a peice of 1/16" neoprene and put it under the pump as a buffer between the glass. Any vibrating sound that it was making is now gone because the neoprene absorbs the vibrations and pads the glass. I agree wiht Ziggy that a Mag7 is a little under sized for a 140g, but u said it is freshwater right, so maybe u don't need as much flow as us salties. I would recommend a Mag 9.5 since u have 1 overflow maybe even a 12 but it might have to be ball valved and cut dow slightly.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:19 AM   #16

Sorry a bit drunk right now...but where would you recommend for getting some neoprene?

Once again, thanks to everyone for your suggestions! This has made my life a lot more easier when making changes to the tank format.

-M
Old 04-21-2007, 03:48 AM   #17
JM
Aquarium Advice Freak

Not sure where u can get it maybe home depot or lowes. My dad got me mine, he got it from his work so i'm not sure what stores you can get it at.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:50 PM   #18

Some foam, a little durso, and a whole lot of love

Thanks guys! The durso standpipe really did the job. Much quieter, plus the filter pad under the pump cut down some of the tank noise.

The rest of the noise was cut down by plugging the 6" diameter holes in the back of the cabinet with egg crate foam and now I do not have a cabinet sized speaker in my dining room.

Now I can finally get this tank cycled and filled with some fish.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:22 AM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Glad it worked for you.

Still think it's something wrong with that Mag7 though...

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 11:21 AM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

http://www.kitchenkapers.com/lamsharhotsp.html

Wondering if these silicone pads would work under the pump to cut down the noise. Seen similar pads in the grocery store.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flow, overflow, overflow kit

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com